Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it normal to have root as group admin while everything else is staff?

rcaron:~ Ric$ ls -als

total 64

0 drwxr-xr-x+ 32 Ric staff 1088 3 Aug 17:57 .

0 drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 3 Aug 14:51 ..

0 -rw------- 1 Ric staff 3 29 Jul 20:13 .CFUserTextEncoding

48 -rw-r--r--@ 1 Ric staff 21508 3 Aug 20:25 .DS_Store

0 drwx------ 27 Ric staff 918 3 Aug 20:15 .Trash

0 -rw------- 1 Ric staff 0 3 Aug 15:15 .Xauthority

I've been getting bad crashes trying to import a few years worth of samples and recordings that have caused a all kinds of issues like this for example!

These permissions are changing somehow not long after reinstalling..

Whats the easiest way to force these permissions with terminal?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Dual boot with Yosemite

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:15 PM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:01 PM in response to Ritchie Caron

Ya.. I think its time to skin this cat. I spend hours to get it working properly then it falls apart.. I'll keep a clone to fire up in a few years when this set-up can be productive and not be harassed by bootstraps and sandboxes… Today was the last straw when Mountain Lion simply said it was going to sleep because of too many errors… Rest in Peace.. ML..

I suppose have a five year stable pro platform with less emphasis on security and more emphasis on performance is not possible… How many thousands of DJ's and mobile music makers are being alienated with computers that are more like toys and less like tools.. If only there was a stable platform that would remain stable for users who have thousands invested in software that will become useless after a security update… That a my rant!… I hope this all works in Yosemite and Virtual Box.. Gotta praise the G5 and reaper for saving the day… now thats a tool worth keeping..

Is it normal to have root as group admin while everything else is staff?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.