Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Problem with the New TLD's

Does anyone know:

1) Why Safari/Webkit (Maxthon) won't display web sites with .help endings

2) Whether Apple is doing or going to do something about this problem?

I have registered two domain names with .help suffixes. One is live on-line, and when I enter domainname.help in Safari, I get a list of my competitor's web sites as a Google search!

I spent some time looking for configuration errors at my registrar's web site, my web host, and my local machine. Then I searched the 'net and discovered this problem is widespread.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 4 hd's, SSD boot volume, 10 gb RAM

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 8:59 PM

5 replies

Aug 3, 2015 9:46 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn— forgive me, but you seem not to understand the meaning or seriousness of this bug.

It isn't which browser I use, but which browsers other people are using while navigating the web that is at issue.

Safari and Maxthon effectively prevent users from finding web sites with the new TLD suffixes. Anyone using such a domain name must be concerned about this.

Aug 23, 2015 5:13 PM in response to berkelelychuanist

I am having the same problem with the new .garden gTLD. I'm developing a new site for a client & have encountered this anomaly while doing some initial testing with the following Safari versions: v6.1.6 (Mac OS X Lion), v7.1.2 (iPhone iOS) and v8.2 (iPad iOS).

Specifically, the .garden gTLD does not function in Safari as it should - instead of displaying the website, Safari redirects to a Google search page. In other browsers, if a user enters either xyz.garden or www.xyz.garden, they will be directed to the http://www.xyz.gardenwebsite and not to a Google search page. For example, Google Chrome v44.0.2403.157 and Firefox v34.0.5 through v40.0.2 function perfectly in resolving the .garden gTLD.

I agree with berkelelychuanist… Apple, with their Safari browser, is preventing many users from easily accessing websites that use the new gTLDs. It should be a simple fix for Apple’s developers to implement the correct handling of all new gTLD throughout all recent versions of Safari. In support of this issue, I came across this letter to Apple from the Domain Name Association (DNA) dated 06-18-2014: DNA Asks Apple To Recognize New gTLD's in It's Safari.

This issue illustrates Apple's outdated business model of planned obsolescence!

Aug 24, 2015 8:17 AM in response to KiloWattMan

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback

Or you can use your Apple ID to register with this site and go the Apple BugReporter. Supposedly you will get an answer if you submit feedback.

Feedback via Apple Developer

Aug 29, 2015 11:36 AM in response to Eric Root

Hello Eric—

I took your suggestion and sent Apple feedback—on priciple, not from optimism since, as we both know, this problem has been known and communicated to Apple since 2014.

I have also found Safari does not always follow links. So I can't make a contribution to DemocracyforAmerica, to give today's example, when I want to click a response link in an e-mail. It also won't display iFrame links to client's 'buy' listings on Amazon.com when they want their web sites to display such links.

Opera does both of these things.

I never thought I would have to design around Safari the way I do for I.E., let alone suggest to others that there are more complete and web compliant browsers available!

Safari Problem with the New TLD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.