Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Apple help to replace HDD with a SDD?

Hello,

I bought this iMac at the beginning of 2015 with all basic spec.

Now I found that it often lag when I m trying to run numerous track in Logic Pro or open a numbers of window in Safari.

Therefore, I would like to replace its HDD with a SDD.

Is there any way that Apple can help to replace it?

Or do I have to take it our to a computer store to replace it? This is the last thing I want to do as I heard people on forum saying that this may break the Apple Care.

Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:07 PM

Possibly it's just a matter of upgrading RAM especially for apps like Logic Pro. Doubt seriously changting the HD would make a difference.

Click your Apple  top left in your screen then click About This Mac then select the Overview tab.

How much RAM is installed?

Minimum RAM requirement for Logic is 4GB's > Apple - Logic Pro X - Technical Specifications

Not running too many RAM intensive apps simultaneously can help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 11:07 PM in response to Navi M

Possibly it's just a matter of upgrading RAM especially for apps like Logic Pro. Doubt seriously changting the HD would make a difference.

Click your Apple  top left in your screen then click About This Mac then select the Overview tab.

How much RAM is installed?

Minimum RAM requirement for Logic is 4GB's > Apple - Logic Pro X - Technical Specifications

Not running too many RAM intensive apps simultaneously can help.

Aug 4, 2015 12:22 AM in response to Navi M

If there's 8GB's of RAM that should be more than sufficient for Logic Pro.

Doubtful changing the hard drive would make any difference but for the lag issue, you should Verify the hard drive.

Launch Disk Utility located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click: Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If Disk Utility reports errors, to make repairs startup your Mac holding down the Command + R keys.

From there you should be able to access the built in utilities to repair the disk using OS X Recovery.

If Disk Utility says the disk appears to be ok, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help the lag issue.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

About Safe Mode

Can Apple help to replace HDD with a SDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.