Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing music files into Garage Band in an iPhone

I'm trying to set up a practice environment in my iPhone 6 Garage Band app (using an iRig2) so that I can

play along with backup music sequences (already in my iTunes library). I can't find any way to navigate to an import function in iPhone GB.

Is it even possible to import those files into my Garage Band app?

Or is it possible in an iPad?

Or are there alternative music software apps for doing this in either device?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:37 PM

You should be able to access the songs in the Music.app on your iPhone or iPad using the Loop Browser in GarageBand.

See this Help Page: http://help.apple.com/garageband/iphone/2.0/index.html#chsb3f15dc4

Import a song from the Music app

You can import songs from the Music app on your device into Tracks view. You can import a song to an existing Audio Recorder or Guitar Amp track, or have GarageBand create a new Audio Recorder track for the song.

Songs imported from the Music app do not follow tempo changes you make in GarageBand.

Hide

• To import the entire song, set the current song section to Automatic; otherwise, only the portion of the song that fits the current song section is imported.
  • Tap the View button User uploaded file to open Tracks view.
  • Tap the Loop Browser button User uploaded file in the control bar, then tap Music.
  • You can search for songs by name, or browse by album, artist, genre, or playlist.
  • To preview a song, tap it in the list. You can control the preview volume with the slider at the bottom of the list.
  • Drag a song left or right to show Tracks view. Align the left edge of the song with the bar or beat on the ruler where you want it to start playing.

After importing the song, you can make the song section longer, then resize the imported region so that more of the song plays.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 10:37 PM in response to saxyjazzman

You should be able to access the songs in the Music.app on your iPhone or iPad using the Loop Browser in GarageBand.

See this Help Page: http://help.apple.com/garageband/iphone/2.0/index.html#chsb3f15dc4

You can import songs from the Music app on your device into Tracks view. You can import a song to an existing Audio Recorder or Guitar Amp track, or have GarageBand create a new Audio Recorder track for the song.

Songs imported from the Music app do not follow tempo changes you make in GarageBand.

Hide

• To import the entire song, set the current song section to Automatic; otherwise, only the portion of the song that fits the current song section is imported.
  • Tap the View button User uploaded file to open Tracks view.
  • Tap the Loop Browser button User uploaded file in the control bar, then tap Music.
  • You can search for songs by name, or browse by album, artist, genre, or playlist.
  • To preview a song, tap it in the list. You can control the preview volume with the slider at the bottom of the list.
  • Drag a song left or right to show Tracks view. Align the left edge of the song with the bar or beat on the ruler where you want it to start playing.

After importing the song, you can make the song section longer, then resize the imported region so that more of the song plays.

Dec 14, 2015 1:22 AM in response to saxyjazzman

I have done the same as you provided information, but my Music application gives the message reads as ' Protected songs and songs not stored locally on your iphone can not be imported" Now i dont know what protected songs and how to store locally on Iphone in Music application?? All the songs in Music application are through Itunes only. Can you please help me in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2015 1:52 AM in response to Haneefipad

but my Music application gives the message reads as ' Protected songs and songs not stored locally on your iphone can not be imported"

Protected songs are songs that have digital rights associated with them. These may be songs streamed from Apple Music or songs purchased from the Apple Store with the file type "Protected AAC audio file". These files cannot be imported to GarageBand and modified, because importing them would remove the protection.

And you cannot use songs that are not stored locally. If the song is only in iCloud, click the cloud icon to the right of the song in the Music App to download the song.

Importing music files into Garage Band in an iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.