Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i run logic pro x off an external hard drive?

hey, i have a current macbook pro, with only 128gb ssd, and i want to get both final cut and logic pro x, but these are both very big programs and would take up a considerable amount of memory, i was wondering if there is a suitable alternative to installing these programs on my internal ssd, and possible get an external one dedicated for the programs?

if so any suggestions on which external hardrive i should get? brand ? model?

thanks!!

Logic Pro X

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 11:42 PM

There are two considerations: the Application file and then all the additional files Logic uses:

Application:

Yes, you could store the actual Logic app (or Final Cut Pro app) outside the Applications folder and even on an external drive. However, the file itself is not that big (1.3GB) compared to other additional Logic files. Also, the system expects the app to be in the Applications folder, at least for any update procedure.

Additional Files

Besides some Preferences files that have to be on the boot drive, it was always possible to store the sometimes huge sound libraries on an external drive. Although it is still possible (and there is plenty of information on the net how to do that), with LPX it is getting more complicated, because of certain expectations Logic has were it can find files and where it is looking for them.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2015 11:42 PM in response to nick21g

There are two considerations: the Application file and then all the additional files Logic uses:

Application:

Yes, you could store the actual Logic app (or Final Cut Pro app) outside the Applications folder and even on an external drive. However, the file itself is not that big (1.3GB) compared to other additional Logic files. Also, the system expects the app to be in the Applications folder, at least for any update procedure.

Additional Files

Besides some Preferences files that have to be on the boot drive, it was always possible to store the sometimes huge sound libraries on an external drive. Although it is still possible (and there is plenty of information on the net how to do that), with LPX it is getting more complicated, because of certain expectations Logic has were it can find files and where it is looking for them.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

can i run logic pro x off an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.