Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt to gigabit adaptor

I configured an Airport Extreme to be AP to access my Macbook air as a server. The connection link is established using Thunderbolt-Gigabit LAN adaptor. I have 2 of these adaptors. One works but not the other. Are there different h/w versions?

Both are obviously authorized Apple products.

How is it that one works and not the other (as link to AP)? Both will work as LAN adaptor as usual.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 3, 2015 10:59 PM

2 replies

Aug 4, 2015 1:40 AM in response to nikkei121

Check via the system information what it shows .. if there is a hardware difference it should show up..

eg I have a dock and it shows..

Thunderbolt Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Inc.

Device Name: Mac mini

UID: 0x0001000C11E3F1C0

Firmware Version: 22.2

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Port Micro Firmware Version: 2.1.3

Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Thunderbolt Dock:

Vendor Name: Elgato Systems

Device Name: Thunderbolt Dock

Vendor ID: 0x15

Device ID: 0x4

Device Revision: 0x1

UID: 0x001500400008E200

Route String: 3

Firmware Version: 30.1

Port:

Link Status: 0x2

Cable Firmware Version: 1.1.0

Link Controller Firmware Version: 0.12.5

Makes no sense to me that one works and not the other.. even if they are different versions if both work as LAN adapters..

I am probably not fully comprehending what you are doing.. please explain a bit more details of the setup..

Aug 5, 2015 10:06 PM in response to LaPastenague

The system information looks exactly alike between the #1 adaptor and the #2 except for the UID. No settinga has been changed.

Apparently when i swap the adaptor, the DHCP immediately assigns a different IP to the server.

That was the cause of my confusion. To continue accessing the server(macbook), I've to update a new IP on the client.

Thanks for replying anyway.

thunderbolt to gigabit adaptor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.