Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rescanning iTunes Media Folder - best practice?

After a series of woe starting with iCloud Music Library – I have had to step back to a 1st July library.

My issue is that a huge bunch of tracks I have imported are missing from the library. Naturally.

What is the best way to get these back in? I would like to retain all the ratings etc I currently have in the library, so hesitant to do a wholescale delete and restore.

Wondering if I could do a check to see last modified date and re-import folders with a date > 1st July? Or whether iTunes is constantly editing files and this will catch a load of old files there.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 3:54 AM

As long as all your content is in your iTunes Media folder you can add this to the library, and only new content will be added without generating any duplicates. Problems arise when repeatedly adding media stored outside of the media folder when the option to copy files into it is selected. iTunes doesn't keep a record of the previously imported media and so makes new copies.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 3:54 AM in response to fourfourfun

As long as all your content is in your iTunes Media folder you can add this to the library, and only new content will be added without generating any duplicates. Problems arise when repeatedly adding media stored outside of the media folder when the option to copy files into it is selected. iTunes doesn't keep a record of the previously imported media and so makes new copies.

tt2

Rescanning iTunes Media Folder - best practice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.