Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does iPhotoLibraryUpgrader actually do?

A friend has a rather elderly iMac which was running 10.4. He had to replace the hard drive and when this was done the repair shop installed 10.7. Since then he has not been able to view the captions, etc. that were originally attached to his iPhoto pictures. What is the best way of retrieving the situation?

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:31 AM

What version of iPhoto are you referring to? What do the title of your query have to do with the actual query?

7 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am not sure what version of iPhoto my friend was using in 10.4 (maybe version 6?). I found iPhotoLibraryUpgrader on the Apple site without any documentatIon and wondered if it would help to make his photo captions visible in the version that comes with 10.5, 10.6 or 10.7.

Aug 4, 2015 9:26 AM in response to spp

The iPhoto library upgrader does not add features to iPhoto - it allows iPhoto '11 and Photos to open older (version 7 and before) libraries

and no version of iPhoto comes with any OS - iphoto is a separate program and does not come with any OS install

AS to viewing captions - there is nothing named caption in any version of iPhoto - different people use caption to mean different things - what exactly are you wanting to see?

LN

Aug 4, 2015 3:22 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks Larry - very useful info. But, are you sure that iPhoto doesn't come with any of the early OS installs? I am still using 10.6.8 on my iMac and I don't remember having to get iPhoto (version 7 actually) separately. Maybe things changed when iLife was issued.

About the captions - I think my friend means the titles that can be edited to something meaningful so that it doesn't just say DSCN00098.jpg (for example) and also the date and time of taking the photo.

Philip

Aug 4, 2015 3:30 PM in response to spp

iPhoto (and the other apps) came free with the Machine not the OS.

As for your friends problem: the key question is how was his/her library moved to the new disk? If done correctly, then there is no problem. If done incorrectly then all sorts of issues - including lots of duplicates and triplicates - become apparent.

Aug 5, 2015 1:20 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence

I think you have hit the nail on the head. The trouble started when I installed 10.6.8 on his machine back in May. It took hours, and I thought this was because he only had 1GB of RAM. Eventually it finished, and all seemed well. However, a few days later the system crashed and Disk Utility showed that the hard disk had failed completely, so I assume that the installation had taken a long time due to intermittent errors on the hard disk.

At the moment, I can't remember how I actually backed up his data before installing 10.6.8, but I shall go and see him tomorrow and hope to find out.

Philip.

PS I guess it's possible that the disk was failing intermittently when I did the original back-up.

What does iPhotoLibraryUpgrader actually do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.