Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

linked text box not visible

I am returning to iBooks Author (tried it for a book in 2012 and had to give up for several reasons) to make an iBook version of a physical book. I am wrestling with iBooks Author and haven't been able to find answers to my questions on the net.

I currently am stuck with two problems:

- I've started out with the Classical template in landscape mode. I've imported an ePub (generated from the TeX files of the original book). That gave me the entire ePub in a single chapter. Not a problem, I can move stuff around. But when I try to preview on my iPhone, the book only shows in (very small) landscape, however I hold the iPhone. Isn't iBooks not to change between portrait and landscape? Scrolling view is not disabled in the document.

- I have been trying to adapt the Chapter layout to do what I want. (chapter layout: chapter-LHS, chapter-RHS, standardpage). I want the text to start in a text block on the chapter-RHS in a box that flows to the rest of the chapter. I can create a linked text box from the standardpage and drop that on the chapter-RHS of the initial chapter pages, but whatever I do, the text box is not visible.

Can someone help me out?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 4:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:05 AM

i can try to help but i don't have complete answers to everything you ask and possible only semi complete to one of them.

i take it you want landscape mode. in 2012 you could fix a book to stay in landscape mode no matter how you oriented your iPad. not anymore with the new iba. now you choose either a landscape template or a portrait template or a brand-x template for the outside world. when you hold the iPad in landscape mode, the book will appear as a landscape book and fill the screen. when you hold the iPad in portrait mode, the image you see is landscape but cropped (very small landscape with black border on top and bottom if i remember.

i would think that an iPhone would behave in this same way since clearly it has a portrait orientation and a landscape orientation. however, my iPhone is too old to test this and it is unclear to me the state of ibooks on iPhone, and if there are restrictions that some ibooks can't be read on iPhone. i plan on a new ipnone when the new models come out later this year so that i can experiment with them.

it could be that you already knew all this.

let me mention that there are serious bugs in preview to the iPad so i would not be surprised that same is true for iPhone sine both are iOS based. but iPad works exactly like i describe. you might consider exporting your book to iTunes on the mac and then moving it to iPhone to see how it behaves instead of preview. this is possible with iPad so i have to think you can do the same thing with iPhone.

good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 5:05 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

i can try to help but i don't have complete answers to everything you ask and possible only semi complete to one of them.

i take it you want landscape mode. in 2012 you could fix a book to stay in landscape mode no matter how you oriented your iPad. not anymore with the new iba. now you choose either a landscape template or a portrait template or a brand-x template for the outside world. when you hold the iPad in landscape mode, the book will appear as a landscape book and fill the screen. when you hold the iPad in portrait mode, the image you see is landscape but cropped (very small landscape with black border on top and bottom if i remember.

i would think that an iPhone would behave in this same way since clearly it has a portrait orientation and a landscape orientation. however, my iPhone is too old to test this and it is unclear to me the state of ibooks on iPhone, and if there are restrictions that some ibooks can't be read on iPhone. i plan on a new ipnone when the new models come out later this year so that i can experiment with them.

it could be that you already knew all this.

let me mention that there are serious bugs in preview to the iPad so i would not be surprised that same is true for iPhone sine both are iOS based. but iPad works exactly like i describe. you might consider exporting your book to iTunes on the mac and then moving it to iPhone to see how it behaves instead of preview. this is possible with iPad so i have to think you can do the same thing with iPhone.

good luck.

linked text box not visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.