Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson Photo Stylus R2400 won’t work on OS 10.6. Help!

I have been beating my brains out with this problem. I believe someone in the community has probably tried and succeeded were I have failed.

The printer drivers for the R2400 are supplied by both Epson and Apple for OS 10.6. and later. I have read several blogs and reviews and tried many downloads and rebuilds of both Epson and Apple drivers and OS. I have also tried to succeed using Lion 10.7 where I have failed with OS 10.6. Everything worked fine using OS 10.5 and I shall probably revert to reinstalling and printing from OS 10.5 if no-one can help me. That would be inconvenient.

The Symptoms: Epson Driver SP R2400.

Trying to print a .PDF from Preview: I get a warning telling me ‘the paper size selected is not appropriate for the paper loaded in the printer’ and I am told to ‘reject the paper which is installed with the roller reverse button and reset.’

Reality: The printer set up box is set to A4. The installed paper is A4. Whether I print from Preview or Adobe Print set up I am unable to print. The paper feeds a short distance and then stops. I have to eject it. There is no paper debris whatsoever in the printer. On several occasions I have run a test sheet. The printer test registers a short set of code letters on the paper edge and passes the sheet through the printer unhindered. It does no print a test image as it should. Like the original print request, the test sheet often does not work and I get either ‘Unknown Error ’ or ‘Paper Jam’. The red paper jam light is on the printer. I eject paper it goes off and a repeat request to print induces a repeat of the same cycle.

On one occasion I succeeded with one perfect A4 print from a .pdf file using Apple Gutenprint v. 5.2.3. That occurred after trashing the Epson driver (SP R2400) and installing the Apple/Epson driver. Oddly the next time I tried to print I got either ‘Paper Jam’ or ‘Paper not appropriate’ messages.

At the moment I have set up the two R2400 drivers in the OS printer list, one by Epson and one by Apple, so I can switch drivers easily to test printing.

I have also done the same on OS 10.7 Lion. The behaviour of the printer under Lion is the same as under Snow Leopard.

Someone will tell me it is a printer fault. Not so. The printer works fine on OS 10.5 and earlier. I am certain it is a driver problem. Indeed, why would it print correctly once but not repeat the process? I read others have hit driver difficulties and have overcome them using Apples Gutenprint and sacrificing built in Epson features which Gutenprint does not support. But those lucky ducks got the basic printing function to work. So far I have failed.

Any ideas anyone?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.8 GHz Intel Core Duo

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:27 AM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Yes, I did not mention re-setting printers. I assume you mean deleting and resetting printers in the System Preferences>Print & Fax Dialogue box. Well I thought I would try that again but to no avail. I tried printing a B&W A4 letter from Adobe Illustrator this time. Neither Of the drivers would print the document.

The Epson simply accepted the paper then declared a paper jam showing the blinking red light on the printer. The Gutenprint driver accepted the paper and passed it through the printer without any printing whatsoever and showed blinking red of paper jam and blinkin green lights of the start button, which indicates printer preparation incomplete/error.

Turning the printer off and on allows the printer to apparently prepare for printing OK. But as soon as an instruction to print occurs, on comes the red light with any one of three error messages in the Epson printer dialogue box. It has occurred to me that a small piece of debris could account for the paper error message. However I have inspected the printer as carefully as I can and found nothing wrong.

New Test: selected Gutenprint driver.

Assuming the problem may relate to A4 setting (by default the Adobe Print box shows A4 roll paper and I had to sub select A4 ... peculiar!) So I tried a super A3 photo paper. Passing this sheet through would also ensure the paper transport was clean. Never got off the ground! I selected a letter with InDesign, changed the paper sizes, checked the specs and tried to print. The instruction downloaded, froze on 5% and I saw the red light of the paper jam button come on. The paper did not move throughout this procedure.

I guess this does not help except to confirm the drivers do not work properly. Thank you for the consideration.

Aug 5, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

I missed the link. I tried that and cleared print setup as the Apple guide described. That is a good procedure to know about so thank you for that.

Unfortunately after setting up the printer again I still cannot print. No change of behaviour.

PS. How do I delete the ‘Solved’ tick that on this blog. I ticked ‘helful’ not solved!

Epson Photo Stylus R2400 won’t work on OS 10.6. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.