Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'd like to buy an iPhone from Apple that I can use in S Korea (SK Telecom or Olleh). Ideally I would like to be able to use this phone with T-Mobile, ATT or Verizon next year when I move back. Which model should I buy?

WWhich iphon model can be used in US and Korea

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:49 AM

6 replies

Aug 5, 2015 1:07 PM in response to Phil0124

@Phil0124 @Meg St._Clair That is actually not true. You can now use an unlocked ATT iphone 6 on Verizon. It used to be that Verizon would only allow a limited number of phones on their network. (a few sprint phones) It used to be a pain. Now, since the phones are much more universal, they allow much more on their network.

Two things:

1. I use an unlocked ATT iphone 6 on Verizon. Yes, it works!

2. If you goto Verizon's website, and check to see if the device is eligible, and put in an ATT iphone 6, it will tell you that the device is eligible to be activated on their network. Almost all Verizon employees haven't a clue about this, even Verizon store managers AND Verizon Store Owners, and they will tell you that you can't, but that is only because they don't know about this.

Simple test. Put a Verizon sim in an unlocked ATT iphone 6. It works. but you should try it first yourself! Then you will know.

As far as the original post about Korea? I don't know. I don't live in Korea. ;-)

Aug 5, 2015 5:42 PM in response to sierraphones

sierraphones wrote:

@Phil0124 @Meg St._Clair That is actually not true. You can now use an unlocked ATT iphone 6 on Verizon. It used to be that Verizon would only allow a limited number of phones on their network. (a few sprint phones) It used to be a pain. Now, since the phones are much more universal, they allow much more on their network.

Yes, I understand it's supposed to work and even does sometimes. And, sometimes it doesn't. And, if it does, an AT&T phone will only work on Verizon's 4G network, not it's 3G CDMA. Sometimes visual voicemail and MMS work erratically or not at all. Verizon will provide no support for the phone if it doesn't work. Yes, their website says you can use an unlocked phone but also suggests that it's not the best idea. Also, the OP will need to have a SIM that is already activated on Verizon. That complicates things if the OP doesn't have another phone to activate the SIM with. And, yes, lots of Verizon employees are quite aware of all of this.

So, yes, my answer to the OP was simplified but nonetheless good advice. If the OP wants the best experience on Verizon, they will buy a Verizon model, which will also work on other carriers.

Aug 6, 2015 9:17 AM in response to sierraphones

I agree with Meg. A non Verizon iPhone will cause more issues with Verizon, than one meant specifically for Verizon, I would still suggest buying a Verizon iPhone if the OP plans on ever using it in Verizon if only to simplify things.

It will still work with any other GSM carrier domestically or abroad. but will also work seamlessly with Verizon's 4G Network as well as its CDMA based 3G and below networks.

I'd like to buy an iPhone from Apple that I can use in S Korea (SK Telecom or Olleh). Ideally I would like to be able to use this phone with T-Mobile, ATT or Verizon next year when I move back. Which model should I buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.