Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my iMac eject a dvd upon insertion?

Why does my iMac eject a dvd shortly after inserting without playing?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:17 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:33 AM in response to Phil0124

This is a commercial dvd, non-Blu-Ray., House of Cards. This is a two disk set. Both disks play on my Samsung DVD player connected to my TV. One of the disks plays on my IMac with a apple dvd player. The other disk is very clean, no scratches or smudges. Upon inserting into my player it attempts to read it then ejects it. No codes are shown.

Thanks for the reply

Aug 4, 2015 9:50 AM in response to philipjc

poikkeus1 wrote:

This problem is usually due to dust trapped in the Superdrive mechanism. It's easy to find special DVDs that clean the heads of your drive, and there's good success with this kind of method. You won't want a "wet" cleaner; a dry disk that you simply insert in your drive slot will work best.

If that were the case, it would fail with most DVDs, not just a specific one. It works with other DVDs, it just fails with that one.

It would then seem that particular DVD is not being properly read by the drive in the iMac. Why that is, its hard to say, since the other DVD is read fine. It may be a creation issue that the Samsung player can bypass, but the iMac drive cannot.

You could try testing that DVD in another iMac, from a friend, or at an Apple Store see if it will play. If it doesn't, then there is something about that DVD the iMac super drive simply does not like.

You can try to reset the SMC and see if that works:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

However, since it only happens with the one DVD, I doubt its something as general as the SMC. Its more likely its something specific about that DVD.

why does my iMac eject a dvd upon insertion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.