Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use iCloud photo sharing without it storing a local copy on my mac?

I have updated to the new Photo app on my new mac book air. I previously used iPhoto with my photos shared in the cloud. Since having my air I am more aware of memory (I only have 128GB). I have since noticed that there are large portions of my memory used for just photos (even though I have my actually Photo library on an external). I tracked the location of these files (or photos) and deleted them which freed up 40GB of memory. However I then open Photos again and it saves all the shared photos locally. I figured out that you can turn off sharing capabilities in Photo preferences or System Preferences but then i cannot see my shared files in Photos. This is not a huge problem but it also does not allow me to see any shared photos on iCloud.com. It states that I have to turn on Photo Sharing a device.

So my question is this. Is there a way to keep Photo app sharing ON without the program saving a local copy every time I open Photo? OR is there a way to view the shared photos and albums on iCloud.com which all my device have the sharing capabilities turned off?

Thank you for any tips!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:39 AM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 8:22 AM in response to thehardquestions1989

You could try to enable Photo Sharing in iPhoto, but not in Photos. And never launch iPhoto again after you delete the photos from the user library in ~/Library/Application Support/iLifeAssetManagement/assets/sub-shared/

But it would be easier to save space if you used iCloud Photo Library instead of Shared albums. Then only optimised versions will be stored on your Mac, if you enable "Optimise Mac Storage". The only drawback would be, that iCloud Photo Library counts against your iCloud Storage.

Aug 4, 2015 8:26 AM in response to léonie

I do not have iPhoto anymore because it was updated 😟 to Photo app. I only posted in the iPhoto community because it would not allow me to post in the photo app community. So that suggestion does not really help me.

Yeah i guessed this but i do not have room and refuse to pay the outrageous fees apple wants for the space.

Any other ideas to be able to view through iCloud.com maybe?

Aug 4, 2015 8:34 AM in response to thehardquestions1989

I do not have iPhoto anymore because it was updated to Photo app. I only posted in the iPhoto community because it would not allow me to post in the photo app community

Photos is not an update to iPhoto. It is a new application, that has been released with Yosemite, but there is a compatibility update for iPhoto as well.

iPhoto should still be in your Applications folder. Drag the iPhoto icon back to the Dock and launch it. When you see a warning that the iPhoto Library has been migrated to Photos click the "Open iPhoto" button.

If the iPhoto icon is crossed out, update to iPhoto 9.6.1. But you can only update iPhoto, if your iPhoto version is registered at the App Store, because Apple stopped selling iPhoto.

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your purchase. See this link: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Make a backup of your iPhoto Library before you update iPhoto.

Can I use iCloud photo sharing without it storing a local copy on my mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.