Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible Bug in "Block Caller" Feature

Hi, I'm writing to report a possible bug in the "block caller" feature. When a caller is blocked and he/she calls you the caller is promptly sent to voicemail and able to leave messages if he/she wishes to do so. As it stands right now the blocked caller is able to contact the person who blocked them and the blocked caller thinks their voicemail/text messages go through to the person.

Expected result: when a caller is blocked they should not have the ability to leave messages on the voicemail of the person who blocked them or otherwise have access to them because blocking a person means that their should be no contact whatsoever with the one who blocked him/her.

Note: I'm running iOS 8.4 on a 64GB iPhone 5.

iPhone 5

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:11 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

It's a technology limitation, not a bug. The call has already reached the phone, so it is to late to block it. The best that can be done is send it to voicemail. to block it completely it must be blocked at the switch. Your carrier may offer switch level blocking.

Thanks for the clarification. I rather thought that was the case but wasn't sure.

Aug 4, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

It's a technology limitation, not a bug. The call has already reached the phone, so it is to late to block it. The best that can be done is send it to voicemail. to block it completely it must be blocked at the switch. Your carrier may offer switch level blocking.

I know AT&T offers a plan called Smart Limits but there is a charge to have it - $4.99/mo for a single line or $9.99/mo for a family plan. They allow blocking up to 30 numbers along with other features.

Possible Bug in "Block Caller" Feature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.