Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air Early 2014 will not restore

My Early 2014, i7, 8GB RAM, MacBook Air will not restore. It will download the OS X Mavericks (it came with Mavericks) then it will start to Install get to 6 minutes and either restart and start the install again or just stop (Freeze).

I erased the Hard drive via Disk Utility per instructions and then started the download. It down loads the OS X and then installs to about 6 mins and does as stated above.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:51 AM

I am having the same problem but mine is a i5 I thought it was an i7 but my box says i5. Anyway what happened? Was your Mac having problems before you restored? Mine kept restarting with in a few minutes of the restart. I did not have any storms and I do not keep it connected unless I am using it. I also do not wake my system for WiFi or power nap in my settings. When it is down nothing wakes it but me keying the start and put in my password.

It was weird I opened it the next day powered it up and all was well then it restarted. It kept doing this so I called ACare and they told me to erase hard drive and restore.

I did, it downloaded and then restarted and started to install and it would get to 10-6min and freeze. However I did have one successful install but that was short lived it restarted again and again. It is weird we are having the same issue.

I am in the process of downloading the OS now and we will see. If you have any insight please help and if I have any I will share... Good luck

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 7:51 AM in response to NOYB234

I am having the same problem but mine is a i5 I thought it was an i7 but my box says i5. Anyway what happened? Was your Mac having problems before you restored? Mine kept restarting with in a few minutes of the restart. I did not have any storms and I do not keep it connected unless I am using it. I also do not wake my system for WiFi or power nap in my settings. When it is down nothing wakes it but me keying the start and put in my password.

It was weird I opened it the next day powered it up and all was well then it restarted. It kept doing this so I called ACare and they told me to erase hard drive and restore.

I did, it downloaded and then restarted and started to install and it would get to 10-6min and freeze. However I did have one successful install but that was short lived it restarted again and again. It is weird we are having the same issue.

I am in the process of downloading the OS now and we will see. If you have any insight please help and if I have any I will share... Good luck

Aug 4, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Alphacatt

Almost too scary... I erased and downloaded and installed 6 times. I had two successful installs but after awhile it would start the restarting loop. I am either going to take it to a friend who is an Apple authorized Tech whom owns an Authorized Apple Dealer. I received some codes on one restart that I screen shot and sent to him before the system restarted. Some codes indicate some severe issues that he wants to check before I freak out and alarm people. I am taking it to him today should have an answer by tomorrow I will check back with you. Good luck to you too

Aug 4, 2015 8:21 AM in response to Alphacatt

My MacBook is installing again right now and it is at 6 minutes. The blue bar is moving still so I hope this one works. Did by any chance you do the Public Beta for Captain? If you did some folks said that when they tried to erase and restore from a pre Beta OS it started doing the same things. There is an article that is calling the public Beta a Virus as Metaphorically speaking. A lot of people are having similar problems. I know the iOS 9 Public Beta cannot be unlocked on locked iOS devices. I did not read that the Beta for Captain could not be ersed and you could not restore to a pre Beta OS. I read the opposite. Maybe that is the problem...

My MacBook Air Early 2014 will not restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.