Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I combine two iPhoto libraries in Photos

On my Mac with yosemite and Photos, I was trying to make some space on my wife's Mac air and so I moved her photo library onto my mac. What I now have is Photos with TWO libraries, one is listed in the Finder as iPhoto Library and the one I added was automatically named iPhoto Library 2. Now when I go to Photos, it goes to iPhoto Library 2 and I can't access iPhoto Library (i.e. 1). I see where people say to merge these two libraries I need IPhoto Manager (or some such) BUT I don't have iphoto anymore, I have PHOTOS, will this same software help my situation? OR, is therre a way to choose which library my PHOTOS app opens each time I go to it? right now it always goes to #2.

Dell and Mac mini, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:22 AM

You can switch between Photos Libraries by holding down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos. That will bring up the Library Chooser Panel and let you select one of your Photos Libraries or Photo Libraries or create a new library.

Photos does not support to merge libraries. If your libraries are still iPhoto Libraries you can use th paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge them, see: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

And you should still have iPhoto installed. The update to Mac OS X 10.10.3 just removed the IPhoto icon from the Dock and replaced it by Photos, but iPhoto should still be there in your Applications folder. If iPhoto appears to be crossed out, update e to version 9.6.1.

But you can only update iPhoto, if your iPhoto version is registered at the App Store, because Apple stopped selling iPhoto.

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your purchase. See this link: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Make a backup of your iPhoto Library before you update iPhoto.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 10:22 AM in response to Headlice

You can switch between Photos Libraries by holding down the options key ⌥ while launching Photos. That will bring up the Library Chooser Panel and let you select one of your Photos Libraries or Photo Libraries or create a new library.

Photos does not support to merge libraries. If your libraries are still iPhoto Libraries you can use th paid version of iPhoto Library Manager to merge them, see: Fat Cat Software – iPhoto Library Manager

And you should still have iPhoto installed. The update to Mac OS X 10.10.3 just removed the IPhoto icon from the Dock and replaced it by Photos, but iPhoto should still be there in your Applications folder. If iPhoto appears to be crossed out, update e to version 9.6.1.

But you can only update iPhoto, if your iPhoto version is registered at the App Store, because Apple stopped selling iPhoto.

Barney-15E's user tip explains how to update to iPhoto 9.6.1 by reinstalling your purchase. See this link: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS X 10.10.3

Make a backup of your iPhoto Library before you update iPhoto.

How do I combine two iPhoto libraries in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.