Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop automatic data usage but still use wifi?

I will be going on a cruise in a few months and they have an app that is free to use on-board. The ship's WiFi will be free only for the use of their app. How do I shut down all notifications, updates, and background data usage so I do not have to pay the cruise line for WiFi use? Essentially, I need to know how to disable all data usage but keep the WiFi on for the on-board app. Thank you for your help.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:43 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:03 AM in response to JMSphone

Hi JMS, this is easy and I have done it many times. Turn Airplane mode ON and then turn Wi-Fi ON. You can do this from the console below, swipe it up. You will be able to connect to the ships free Wi-FI App but you do not have to set up an account with them to connect to the outside world. I have done this on Princess many times, works very well.

Aug 4, 2015 9:29 AM in response to JMSphone

No, dont know what cruise line you will be on but on all I have been you have to set up an account and purchase a set of minutes to connect to the Internet with their wifi. Princess has a great app for on the ship use only and it is free. You can log on to it at no cost and you will not get any app updates or auto downloads as you are not connected to the Internet, just to the ships internal wifi. If you do buy time you would have to sign on every single time you connect so you would know when you are on their clock. This is accurate but if you have any doubts just drop by the ships Internet Cafe and they will help you, this is how I did it the first time.

🙂

How do I stop automatic data usage but still use wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.