Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I install security software on my iPad air

recently purchased Kapersky security for my windows laptop. I have a licence for installing it on my iPad Air. can this be done and would I benefit from this.

iPad Air, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:09 AM

Most experts recommend that you do not install any security software on Apple products and just rely on their own built in protection. So I would not.

8 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:40 AM in response to christopherfromnorthfield

There are currently no anti-virus apps available for iOS as there are no known viruses in the wild that can affect an iOS device unless it has been jailbroken. So, there is nothing to install.

Things to do to keep your iPad safe:

1. Put a passcode on it.

2. Activate Find My iPhone in Settings>iCloud

3. Do not let people you wouldn't trust with your wallet, car keys or cash use your iPad.

4. Do not jailbrake your iPad.

5. Do not attempt to install apps from anywhere but the App Store. The only exception would be if your employer makes an app available (and you trust them). l

Aug 4, 2015 2:17 PM in response to ShagCA

ShagCA wrote:

Thanks. It could be useful for clueless users who rely on software to prevent them from giving up their credit card numbers at i-am-a-crook dot com website, if it works.

That's just a tad unkind. Many people who buy iPads are not incredibly experienced with technology. They buy iPads because of ease of use. They are not stupid.

Aug 4, 2015 3:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

ShagCA wrote:

Thanks. It could be useful for clueless users who rely on software to prevent them from giving up their credit card numbers at i-am-a-crook dot com website, if it works.

That's just a tad unkind. Many people who buy iPads are not incredibly experienced with technology. They buy iPads because of ease of use. They are not stupid.

You seem to be the one labeling them. I didn't say they're stupid. I'm not ashamed to admit I can be completely clueless when it comes to Mac computers. I ain't stupid.

Aug 4, 2015 4:51 PM in response to christopherfromnorthfield

Ios uses sandboxing.

apps are limited in what they can access and are not allowed to make system wide changes.

This prevents av software from being able to work in any useful fashion and prevents malware infections.

Any security app can only function within itself.

They are usually just modified versions of safari browser, sending all your Web traffic through a server so they can compare the site you are going to to a list of bad websites they maintain.

They are of dubious value at best.

Should I install security software on my iPad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.