Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do MXF clips become shorter when I import them to Final Cut Pro

So I went through the nightmare of trying to get MXF files into Final Cute Pro. After it was done and I thought I made it through the fire, I begin importing my media into the program and notices that the files were not playing as long as they were recored. I went back to the original files to check them again. They play in VLC player and the entire clip plays.

So I am wondering why when I import them into FCP, they become shorter and do not play the entire clip

Please Help!!

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:12 AM

10 replies

Feb 12, 2017 11:11 PM in response to James Cude

James, your answer has saved my sanity. I reckon I have spent between 50 and 100 hours trying to work out why my clips wouldn't play and hours upon hours on the phone to apple support. As it happened this occurred the same time as I archived a heap of projects but the two events were un-related. If I hadn't stumbled on your post I would have had an archived mess of about 5 TB of work. In the end, it was the simplest of solutions and discovered just before I was about to take to my hard drives and FCPX with a sledgehammer. Thank you!!

Aug 5, 2015 5:53 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Calibrated is a third-party mxf plugin people used to use before fcpx supported it natively. if you have the demo of the plugin installed, it conflicts with fcpx, and mxf imports only appear to be 30 seconds. on their website, they say this:

DEMO MODE LIMITATION

Without a Software License,Calibrated{Q} MXF Import will run in DEMO MODE where only up to 30 seconds of the media will be shown or half the media if media is already less than 30 seconds.

Aug 6, 2015 9:21 AM in response to James Cude

Hi James

I want to make sure I have this correctly. Delete the Calibrated plugin from Quicktime. Should I delete the application as well seeing that is it no use to me with my files only being 30 seconds long?

Now i have deleted the plugin. but when I go back to FCPX the MXF files are displaying as audio files only. This was my reason for getting the Calibrated Import software.

How to I ensure that my files are coming in completely and as audio with video?

Thank you!!

Why do MXF clips become shorter when I import them to Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.