Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts - why do I have duplicate iCloud entries

This situation has existed since I updated to one of the earlier versions of the Mac OS and setting up iCloud. I'm finally finding the time to correct an issue that has bugged me for awhile.

I sync my contacts via iCloud across my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. Somehow I ended up with 2 copies of my contacts in iCloud (I think). When I open Contacts on my Mac - not on my iPad or iPhone - I have 2 sets of contact folders on the left pane and almost all of my contacts are duplicated - not all but about 95% are.

I have been thinking I would just delete one of the iCloud folders but I am concerned that both of them will go away. Granted, the data is all backed up via Time Machine and could be recovered easily enough but it would be a pain to do.

Any ideas about deleting one of the folders and having the other email?

Another questions is, why would I have duplicates that only show up on my Mac and not on either of my IOS devices?

Thanks

Adrian

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10), (2)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:46 AM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 10:22 AM in response to Eric Root

Foxfith and Eric,

Thanks for the responses. I went through the links on both responses and they helped. At least now when I open Contacts, I only see 1 group of iCloud contacts and there are no duplicates so that helps a lot.

Now if I can resolve 2 other issues with Contacts I'll be setting good.

When I click on the + to open contacts in iMessages and when I do the same in Apple Mail, I am getting a bunch of duplicates. Actually, if I click on All iCloud Contacts, i eliminate the duplicates. It looks like both apps are accessing "All Contacts" which accesses "All on my Mac" plus "iCloud Contacts". I'm not sure how I ended up with contacts on my Mac other than iCloud putting them there.

When I looked at Contacts in iCloud in Safari, there are no duplicates.

Do0 I have something set wrong in iMessages and in Apple Mail?

Thanks - I'm getting there with your help.

Contacts - why do I have duplicate iCloud entries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.