Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth slows down WiFi on MacBook Pro (mid 2014, 10.10.4)

Bluetooth seems to be interfering somehow with WiFi connection on my new 13-inch rMBP 2014 with OS X 10.10.4 installed. With Bluetooth disabled, connection speed goes up to 50MB/s, but with Magic Mouse connected it can hardly reach 5MB/s with constant lags and slowdowns. My router can be only configured to use 2.4GHz frequency, but it seems like it's not the case -- my friend's rMBP with Mavericks in the same room being put in the same place and paired with the same mouse works just fine.

I've googled this issue a lot, and none of the workarounds seem to work. I've tried resetting SMC, deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file, reconfiguring service order in network settings window, disabling Bluetooth PAN, but all in vain. It really seems like a software bug.

Is there really no way to fix this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:39 AM

2 replies

Aug 6, 2015 7:31 AM in response to 8coon

Howdy 8coon,

My understanding of your issue is that you get much slower Wi-Fi speeds when you are using bluetooth devices, roughly 5 mbps vs 50 mbps, is that correct?

Bluetooth devices can interfere with Wi-Fi, and in particular with the 2.4GHz band. This article provides some suggestions on how to reduce that interference - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: Potential sources of wireless interference. Start with the section titled How to reduce effects of interference from other wireless devices.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Best to you.

Bluetooth slows down WiFi on MacBook Pro (mid 2014, 10.10.4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.