Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing event and project files on new Mac

Hi

I have just started using a new mac mini so have the latest iMovie software version - 10.0.9.

I had all my files backed up from my previous mac in Time Machine on an external disk and imported them using the Migration Assistant. All seemed fine but when I go into iMovie I cannot see any videos or events content that were created in last 12 months. I have material going back to 2010 which appears fine.

Strangely, in the Finder I can see that all the files are there in the iMovie Events and Projects folders.

I was using iMovie 9 on my previous mac on Snow Leopard.

I tried the File - Update option but it says there is nothing to update!

Many thanks for any suggestions,

GB

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:03 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:03 PM in response to georgewdc

iMovie 10 uses a totally different storage format to earlier versions and projects and events created in iMovie 9 have to be updated from within iMovie 10. If your iMovie 9 projects and events folders are at the root level of your external disk or in the <username> / Movies folder of your startup disk iMovie 10 should recognise them and ask you if you want to update them. That it doesn't indicates that the iMovie 9 folders are either absent or in a different location.

You may also want to consider installing iMovie 9 on your new machine from the iLife '11 DVD you must have used with your old mac. You can have both versions active.

Geoff.

Aug 5, 2015 6:19 AM in response to GeeD

Thanks Geoff.

Yes, the files are in the correct folder so seems strange it does not recognise the most recent ones I have created.

I have tried to install iLife 11 but iMovie is grayed out and says "Skip", saying there is a more recent version already installed. I don't seem to be able to override this.

Cheers

George

Aug 5, 2015 8:37 AM in response to GeeD

Found a solution to the problem.

There is a file called "UpdatedtoiMovie10" in both the Projects and Events folders. I deleted this, then restarted iMovie and went through the Update Projects and Events process once more. This time it recognised all my files correctly and they are all now available.

Many thanks

George

Missing event and project files on new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.