Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

install disk image new imac

Hi, I just finally got an iMac 27" and want to migrate over all my files and apps etc..

I made a disk copy on a HD

And thought it would be a simple case of restore disk copy to new iMac HD

I keep getting the error message

could not unmount volume */* resource busy

No idea what to do, tried googling but seems its not a common problem- does anybody know a fix?

Best, L

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Mid 2010

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:07 AM

10 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:14 AM in response to Duke2211

Duke2211,

The correct way to migrate is to connect the Time Machine or bootable clone backup HD of the old computer to the new computer. You missed the opportunity in Setup Assistant, however you can use Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilities - Migration Assistant), follow the on-screen prompts and the migration will begin.

Note: the most reliable method of connecting the EHD is by USB. DO NOT USE WI-FI or Ethernet.

Apple explains the migration process in Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Aug 4, 2015 9:32 AM in response to Duke2211

could not unmount volume */* resource busy

That error usually happens when you try to unmount the partition that has the currently running OS. You cannot eject the current system disk so you need to boot into recovery mode (or another OS disk) to restore a system disk.

I strongly suggest you explain what you have done with more detail. Restoring an entire disk can fail on newer computer, some parts of the OS are specific to the model & gal to boot on different Macs. Ideally you migrate the files as explained by rkaufmann87 above.

Aug 4, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Drew Reece

Hi, Drew, thanks for comments

I want to transfer over all my apps and programs in one go... I have a recent TM backup but have been keeping disk clones for some time now - pro photographer.

I made a clone of the second entry in disk utilities - that is the partition right?

I entered utilities on new maching and selected restore

Selected clone HD on desktop as source

then new machine HD as destination

i then get the above error that says it cannot unmount the current HD... makes sense really, unmount the OS it needs to run?

Spot a massive mistake?

L

Aug 4, 2015 9:56 AM in response to Duke2211

You'll need to boot from another disk to restore to the internal disk. Disk Utility is available in recovery mode or it can be used on a USB bootable installer.

I don't know what source disk you chose so I can't say if the second partition was the correct one. The iMac may work via a restore, but I still think a clean install followed by a migration is safer.

Do you have a disk image or a full disk copy? Migration Assistant uses disks, not disk images.

Aug 4, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Duke2211

Duke2211 wrote:

Whats best practise when copying everything to a new mac?

That has been explained already…

Clean install OS X, then use Migration Assistant to move data from another OS disk (not a disk image).

Having a clean install is not relevant if you overwrite that installation by using Disk Utility to restore from an older system - it is no longer a clean OS after that. Restore overwrites the disk.

If you still have the old iMac setup it is probably simplest to use a Firewire or ethernet cable to migrate between them…

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

You can try mounting the disk image to see if Migration Assistant on the new iMac will allow that to be selected as a source. Migration Assistant is in the Utilities folder.

If you wiped the old iMac & only have the disk image you may need to restore the disk image to a disk - the restore tab in Disk Utility handles that.

Aug 4, 2015 11:25 AM in response to Duke2211

Duke2211 wrote:

Mt Kaufman- its started. So Simple!

Back when I was at uni a fellow helped me and said keep a disk image backup...

Whats best practise for backups? I want to have 2 in case of HD fail..

I had problems with time machine and it was not keeping backups for nearly 2 years.. I dont trust one system.

Excellent! When it is done, log out of your normal user account and you will find a new account with all of the data you migrated.

As for the backup. I use Time Machine on 1 EHD and I use SuperDuper (Carbon Copy Cloner is another alternative) on a 2nd EHD to create a bootable clone When it comes to backing up, redundancy is very wise.

install disk image new imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.