Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Numbers '09 2.3. My coworker has a new version 3.2. I have a Fill icon on my toolbar I use to fill the rows with color. She can't find one. Where is the fill icon in the new Numbers?

I have Numbers '09 2.3. My coworker has a newer version, 3.2.3. I have a Fill icon on my toolbar I use to fill the rows with color. She can't find one. Where is the fill icon in the new Numbers?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:53 AM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Being able to fill is not the problem. Having the fill icon on the toolbar is. It is very convenient to be able to highlight a cell or row and just click that icon on the toolbar. My version has this icon. Her newer version does not. You can see the toolbar from my version in the screen shot below. The fill icon is the yellow one. It is a bit annoying to have to "dig" into the formatting section when you used to be able to just click the button. We are hoping it's just hidden somewhere and we can't find it. Hopefully someone here can tell us where the icon is.User uploaded file

Aug 4, 2015 12:49 PM in response to NeDragonlady

Hi NeDragonlady,

I haven't missed having the format bar at the top. The format sidebar is always open on my machine except when I am working with filter/sort. It is simply a matter of going right rather than going up. There are many ways that Numbers 3 is easier to use than '09. One is the open, less cluttered look. I suggest you take Wayne's suggestion and give it a spin.

quinn

Aug 5, 2015 1:58 AM in response to NeDragonlady

Hi NeDragonlady,

In Numbers 2.3 and Numbers 3, command shift c is the shortcut to Menu > View > Show/Hide Colors.

It toggles the colour window on and off.

With the colour window showing, click on a colour and drag it to a table cell.

You don't have to select a cell or the table before dragging the colour.

User uploaded file

To fill several cells at once, then Numbers needs to know your aim. You must select the cells before dragging the colour to them.

I'm glad I made the decision not to upgrade.

See Wayne's comment:

I have both versions and even run them both at the same time.

Give Numbers 3.5.3 a try. As quinn says,

it has the open, less cluttered look.

As with any new software, 'take a walk around the block' to see what has changed in the neighbourhood.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 5, 2015 7:45 AM in response to Yellowbox

Yellowbox wrote:

In Numbers 2.3 and Numbers 3, command shift c is the shortcut to Menu > View > Show/Hide Colors.

It toggles the colour window on and off.

With the colour window showing, click on a colour and drag it to a table cell.

Hi Ian.

Thanks for the reminder on these convenient shortcuts!

SG

I have Numbers '09 2.3. My coworker has a new version 3.2. I have a Fill icon on my toolbar I use to fill the rows with color. She can't find one. Where is the fill icon in the new Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.