Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ITunes video downloads will not work in Windows 10

Recent video purchases will not play other than in iTunes with windows 10. But does work when downloaded to another computer running Vista.

null-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 9:55 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 12:25 PM in response to ralphfromlasalle

Did you mean to start with "Recent video purchases will not play in iTunes with windows 10". The "other than" confuses the message somewhat suggesting they play in iTunes but not in some other unnamed application.

In principle QuickTime is no longer an integral part of iTunes, and with up-to-date hardware and drivers it may not be required at all. Where it is necessary to support some video content then if you have a 64-bit system you may find that you also need to use the alternate version of iTunes found here: iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards).

See also Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes (including QuickTime) and then rebuilding it, which may be needed to get your system in order.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Aug 4, 2015 2:16 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry about the confusion. Yes the video will play in itunes only. It appears the the file is corrupt. I deleted the new video purchases and downloaded for a second time. SAme result. For a test I downloaded one of the purchased videos on a computer running vista. It worked with all my programs, Provo, virtual dj and in widows media player. To run one more test I transferred the video from the vista computer to the computer running windows 10. It played properly with all programs. So it appears the problem is in the download process in windows 10. I may have to Von back to windows 7 unless you have a solution.

Aug 9, 2015 6:27 AM in response to ralphfromlasalle

I'm thinking this may be an issue with Fairplay 2. Looks like iTunes' DRM mechanism has had an overhaul to support Apple Music and it is having some knock-on effects. It seems some content is possibly being protected with DRM when it shouldn't be, limiting where it can be played. Several iPod classic users have complained that videos they download recently cannot be put on their devices. When you downloaded using Vista you would have been using an older build of iTunes. It will be iTunes that is the cause of the problem rather than Windows 10. Use the report a problem links in your account history to complain that content you've purchased with the expectation that it could be used elsewhere other than in iTunes, as you have done previously, doesn't work when downloaded with iTunes 12.2.1. With luck enough reports will be made for something to be done.

tt2

ITunes video downloads will not work in Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.