Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP Iphone 4s long term water damage

My Iphone 4s fell into the water when i was getting on to my boat.

It was powered on, but was not using it at the time.

It fell into a fresh water marina, of about 1,65 M depth. The water isnt clean, as it is a brown mucky colour, and people tend to have toilets on their boats, that go to the outside..

I tried fishing it out with a net, but no luck.

I gave up hope, and actually forgot about it.

1,5 weeks went by, untill I went swimming, and actually found it when I touched it with my foot!

Since I had been reading what to do before, i did not touch any of the buttons, took it out of its magnetic leather case (that had quite a smell..) and stuck it in a plastic box of rice and cover.

Its now almost been 24 hours since I put it in the rice, And i intend on leaving it for atleast another 48 hours.

Now my question is, is there any hope it will work?

I am thinking about getting some special screwdrivers to open it up, to get more water out if needed.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:48 AM

There is virtually no chance of it ever working again. If it does, it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. Corrosion of the electronics has already begun and will continue.

If you're going to try to dry it out in rice or silica gel, leave it in there for at least a week without attempting to charge it or power it on.

If you attempt to open the phone up at all, you will completely forfeit your rights to an out of warranty replacement phone from Apple. Don't do it unless you're prepared to consider it a complete loss.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Ajm1332

There is virtually no chance of it ever working again. If it does, it's only a matter of time before it fails completely. Corrosion of the electronics has already begun and will continue.

If you're going to try to dry it out in rice or silica gel, leave it in there for at least a week without attempting to charge it or power it on.

If you attempt to open the phone up at all, you will completely forfeit your rights to an out of warranty replacement phone from Apple. Don't do it unless you're prepared to consider it a complete loss.

Aug 7, 2015 4:56 PM in response to KiltedTim

HI, Sorry for the late reply.

I Left the phone in the rice for about 74 hours.

I Then bought a penobular screwdriver and opened up the back.

suprisingly, the water hadnt got far, and was looking pretty good.

i Cleaned out the bits I could, closed it up, and powered it up.

nothing happened. i then stuck it in the charger, and it vibrated.

i Then played with the silent mode button, and it worked. So did the

sound for when you plug in the charger. But the screen wouldn't light up.

what i did find out after a while, is that the screen was still reacting to touch.

i Could unlock, lock, even plug in earphones and play some music, but all this blind.

i Have taken the phone apart twice, and havent found any servere damage. All seems ok,

even though there are some burn marks on certain metalic shield plates.

i Think it could be the Digitalizer, but im not sure.

I have completley reset the phone to factory settings, but as ive said, i cant set it up without being able to see what im doing.

I thought of going to a shop to get it repaird, but i thought id ask here first.

does anybody know what i can do? Thanks

HELP Iphone 4s long term water damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.