Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to configure any wireless printers on my Mac and Yosemite

I have several Macs running Yosemite (10.10.4). There are two wireless printers in our network that have worked fine until the Apple Time Capsule was reset. Previously, the router was set as a bridge, but is set to handle DHCP functions (as the reset configured it) due to a new cable modem.

I can print directly from each Mac via USB or if the printers are connected to the router via an ethernet cable. However, when I try to configure the printers as a wireless device, they won't connect.

I've reset the print services several times.

I've made sure the ASU printer SW is up to date.

I use the print/scanner function in system preferences to add the printers.

Once the printers are added via ethernet or USB, I use the print function to print a test page.

However, I am unable to configure it to the wireless network.

I have an HP P2015dn printer and a Brother MFC-7440N printer.

I've used the following instructions to add the HP printer: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03413323

But no luck so far....

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Apple Time Capsule (4th gen)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:44 AM

2 replies

Aug 4, 2015 12:00 PM in response to j.frommarietta

Also, when I run "Network Diagnostics" within the printer & scanner menu, I get the following message:

Cannot find server

This computer appears to have a working internet connection, but cannot find "HP LaserJet P2015 Series

(##C#FB)._pdl-datastream._tcp.local.". You may have typed the address incorrectly.

I get a similar message from either printer.

Aug 4, 2015 3:26 PM in response to j.frommarietta

When you changed the setup of the TC the whole network is changed.

Often what happens is the printers do not pickup the change of IP.

What I need you do is setup the printers again via WPS or whatever method you use.. it would be better if you could reset the printers before you do that.. but it will depend on the printer.

Once you have the printer setup.. get its IP address..

From one of the computers ping the IP of the printer. Does it respond?

If not go back and retry..

if the printers are connected to the router via an ethernet cable.

Since it works by ethernet the failure by wireless is most likely caused by some mess-up in the WPS system. But this give you a comparison.. helps hugely that you have a working system.. with one type of connection and a failed connection with another type..

Make sure your wireless names, are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.

Make sure your passwords on the wireless, are 8-20 characters mixed case and numbers.. but still no strange characters.

Watch out for strange issues like the HP must use first attempt and pin to connect by WPS.. you must get IP working and the printer showing as a wireless client of the router.

Then compare IP you get with ethernet vs wireless.

Tell me how all that goes.

Unable to configure any wireless printers on my Mac and Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.