Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows USB Install disc is still in startup manager

Hello, My son was helping me update my boot camp partition to Windows 10. We were having issues so he created a USB Install Stick and did a clean install which actually worked okay. He went back home and took his stick with him to use on his computer but it is still showing up on my Mac's startup manager screen. I have been unable to find an answer as to how to make it go away. I am not having any problems, as far as I can tell anyway, but would just like it gone. I did have two recovery partitions showing on this Air before after one of my Mac OS updates but that seemed to clear up after some time or another OS X update. I have had them all since Lion and now have Yosemite.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 13 inch, Mid 2011, 1.8GHz i7

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 10:53 AM

14 replies

Aug 4, 2015 11:23 AM in response to Gary Stein

Try a SMC Reset - Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support .

If the USB icon is shown in Apple Bootmanager (Alt key after Power up), SMC Reset should clear it.

If the USB icon is shown on the Desktop, the eject was done improperly and the icon is just left as a place holder. You can rebuild the Finder pLIst, if necessary..

Aug 4, 2015 11:49 AM in response to Loner T

Hello Loner T, Thanks for the suggestion as I had not tried that. I just did though but that pesky USB Stick is still at the startup manager screen. I even clicked on it hoping for an option but just got the black screen with the blinking little line at the top right. I let it go for several minutes and shut down with the power button.

Windows USB Install disc is still in startup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.