Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X using all of my RAM

Hello everyone, I have a problem with the memory management in OS X.

I use a Mac Pro 6,1 with 32 GB of RAM, mainly for Logic Pro X. The sample libraries I use for orchestral libraries are quite large but it's still around 8 GB in total for the project I'm working on.

The problem is, OS X allocates a lot more memory than required so that it can cache everything. That's all good and everything, but midway through loading the samples into RAM, OS X manages to allocate ALL 32 GBs OF RAM by caching everything in the universe.

This still sounds fine, but no, it is not. When almost all 32 GBs of RAM is already allocated, loading the remaining samples into RAM becomes INSANELY SLOW. You can run a marathon by the time it takes to load the rest of the samples. Whoever thought it was a good idea for OS X to completely allocate my RAM when it's not necessary at all and not giving me the option to disable that functionality was clearly not in their right mind.

Can I even do anything about this other than selling my Mac?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 11:52 AM

6 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:21 PM in response to nitrocan

The cached items can be released in an instant and re-loaded later, which is why this memory management approach is not so crazy as it may seem. "Purging" is neither necessary nor helpful.

You should be suspicious that this is "insanely slow" because you have a Disk Drive problem. This may be that you have too many things dependent on the Boot Drive, and have the classic Traffic Jam there, or it could be that drive is failing.

The ideal setup is where Boot and Applications are on one really fast drive, Source is on its own drive, Destination is on its own drive, and scratch or samples are on their own drive.

User Tip: Creating a lean, fast Boot Drive

OS X using all of my RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.