Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Accessed Remotely?

I have an iPhone 6 running 8.4.

About 3 months ago (and probably before upgrading to 8.4) I experienced an issue when driving to work listening to Spotify over cell through my car's audio system. While I was listening to a selection, I watched the app scroll through my playlists and select songs, backing out of those songs and selecting other songs. The moment I would change back to the title and track I wanted, it would change again. Frustrating, but not a big deal, and I wasn't overly concerned.

About two weeks later, I was having lunch at a restaurant and set my phone down to eat, when I watched my Mail app launch, move back to all inboxes, select a mailbox, scroll down to a specific email, open the email, back out to the inbox scroll down to another email and open that one. I then watched the Mail app shut down, my settings launched and Bluetooth settings were selected (I did not have Bluetooth on at the time). A friend and I watched this happen and we took out his phone to try to record the movement. Of course it stopped at the time.

I read online about bad screens with phantom input, bad chargers and link cables, etc. though I suspected something because the movements I saw did not appear to be random. I mentioned this issue at the genius bar at a local apple store, but was told that they had not seen anything like that. They suggested that I reset all network settings which I did.

This weekend (and after upgrading to 8.4), I went out of town with family and traveled to a southern state- about 800 miles from my home. We stayed with friends who had sparse cell access, but good Wi-Fi. The issue happened again when I was connected by cell only at their home. Over 5 days, I battled to be able to type in search terms, while my phone would launch other applications or enter random characters while I typed. When finding a phone number in safari, it would launch the number, and the iPhone asked if I would like to call the number, yes was selected as I rushed to shut it down. I don’t believe that remote access was enabled when my phone was locked. Everyone there witnessed this behavior and agreed that this was not random because of the number of clicks in various locations to make these things happen. The final straw was when I watched Facebook launch, several photos from friends were 'liked' and then 'status' was selected. I watched someone type "I zm", then backspace to correct the z and type "I am..." At that point, I shut off all cell data and just used Wi-Fi.

I did get some video by using my wife's phone of scrolling through email and changing apps on my phone, but unfortunately not the typing within Facebook.

While I work with technology, I don't claim to be an expert on the iPhone or cell technology. I do have a skeptical nature when it comes to troubleshooting issues and agree that there is usually a more simple explanation than ghosts in the machine. I am convinced that this is not a screen issue, or a charger issue. It appears that this happens on non LTE towers, but not over wifi. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 12:06 PM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2015 2:32 PM in response to cmcdaniel1

There are two possibilities fairly high on the list. If you were only seeing this behavior when the phone was plugged in, it could possibly indicate a bad charging cable. Weird, I know, but I've seen it first hand. The other possibility, still more likely than your phone having been accessed remotely, is that your digitizer is defective. Make an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or, go through your IT department if that's required.

Aug 4, 2015 9:20 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I appreciate the suggestions. While I understand your reluctance to believe that the phone was accessed remotely, I do not believe that it was related to the plug in or the digitizer.

The phone was not plugged in during most of the events that I mentioned, and especially not last week when most of the issues occurred. If the digitizer was bad, then I would expect random input on the screen, but these actions were not random after witnessing several instances.

Clearly the action of scrolling through email and selecting specific emails (at times related to banking transactions, vs. standard notifications) and then selecting back at the top left of the screen to scroll and select further email is not random. Swipes vs. select.

Again, I have a video of some of these actions, and hope to collect further videos when I re-visit the location that I first experienced the behavior. I also was reluctant to believe that this was anything other than random clicks, but after witnessing what I have described, I am convinced otherwise.

Finally, If this were related to the plug-in or the digitizer, it would happen randomly throughout the day. I only experience these issues when on cell data in certain locations.

If you think that these issues could still be digitizer related, please explain why and I will be glad to approach the apple store again.

Thanks for your input!

Chris

iPhone Accessed Remotely?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.