Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best app for testing diagnostics of 2009 Mac Pro???

Hi,

I assume I can ask this question on this forum? If not, I apologize in advance.

I think there are apps that enable one to test the diagnostics of one's Mac Pro...or, any Mac for that matter (e.g. cpu, hard drive, etc.). Can someone please recommend one?

Thanks.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), 2009-2010 Mac Pro; 5,1; 16 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 11:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 12:36 PM

All I know is Apple Hardware Test

Using Apple Hardware Test

As the article says, for your Model Mac you need the original installation disks

15 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:54 PM in response to lllaass

Thanks. I had a MacBook Pro that I sold to a third party awhile ago and the buyer had an app that tested everything on the MacBook...and I mean everything...took like 10 minutes to complete the test. The app had all these fancy graphics like speedometers and other things. The problem is I can't remember the name of the app. 😕

I bought my Mac Pro used and I would like to run similar tests. I obviously don't have the original installation disks. Maybe a simple Google search on my part would do the trick. 😎

Running 10.9.4, so no need for the installation disks apparently.

Aug 4, 2015 4:05 PM in response to Tangerine_Dream

One very entertaining feature of previous versions of Tech Tool Pro was the memory test. It would put up all sorts of patterns and move them around on the screen while telling you what memory test it was doing. It gave you the warm fuzzy feeling that its was doing wonderful things testing the memory inside your Mac.

The Mac Pro does not allow memory errors. (so testing for them is hardly necessary.) It has Hardware to fix the simple ones, and halts with a distinctive kernel panic, machine check if you get a really wacky one.

No memory testing is needed, and since the Screens on the Tech Tool Pro test are mostly to entertain YOU, it starts to look silly.

Best app for testing diagnostics of 2009 Mac Pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.