Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 clean install keeps rebooting Macbook Pro 2012

I have attempted to install a clean Windows 10 on my Macbook Pro mid 2012 (MacBookPro10,1), but every time it ends up in an infinite reboot cycle. I think it may be because Windows 10 does not include critical driver fixes for the hardware - in particular I suspect the NVIDIA discrete GPU. During one install, I got as far as halfway through the Bootcamp install, before the black screen, reboot cycle started. Safe boot does not help - goes to black screen, then reboot as well.

Any advice? I am using a Bootcamp generated USB installer.

I have installed Windows 10 cleanly on a Macbook Pro 2013 without any issues whatsoever.

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 12:12 PM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2015 1:30 PM in response to n808n808

Talking to myself - since I can't edit my previous posts. It seems perhaps the root cause is I tried to install Windows via EFI boot using a GPT partition table. Macbooks prior to 2013 do not expose the hardware properly to the OS, and that's why one gets critical failures, blank screens, reboots after installation. I guess I will have to switch to standard Bootcamp hybrid MBR + legacy BIOS installation. Then the internal Intel HD 4000 will remain hidden, and battery life + heat generation horrible in Windows 10 relative to OS X.

Aug 6, 2015 10:10 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks - that's what I found out in other threads as well.

However, it is not necessary to go via an upgrade path. Here are the steps needed (not for the faint of heart):

1) Create a FAT32 partition in Disk Utility where you want to install Windows 10

2) Use gdisk (GPT fdisk) to create a hybrid MBR that includes the FAT32 partition, and probably your OS X partition

3) Create USB installer using Boot Camp Assistant on the system you want to install Windows 10 on. This is important, as Boot Camp Assistant will download the right drivers, and create a legacy BIOS USB installer.

4) Boot into USB installer (I think there are two choices, "Windows" and "EFI boot". Choose Windows, as this will boot the legacy BIOS installer in MBR mode. Do not choose EFI boot.

5) At the point where Windows setup asks where to install, re-format the FAT32 partition to NTFS. If everything has gone according to plan, Windows Setup will then allow you to install a clean Windows 10 on that partition.

6) After installation, when booting up Windows 10, Boot Camp should automatically install the driver updates. If not, start its setup manually.

*) I went via a slightly more convoluted route. I left empty space instead of creating a FAT32 partition in step 1). I let Windows setup create a new NTFS partition in the empty space. This worked, but then the gpt partition table and the hybrid MBR got out of sync. I had to use gdisk in OS X to create a gpt partition type 0700 with the exact same start and end sector as was now listed in the hybrid MBR partition table.

Windows 10 clean install keeps rebooting Macbook Pro 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.