Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I check that my USB port is working correctly

I have a Universal RDS USB device that needs to have the firmware upgraded. My MacBook Pro does not recognize it when I plug it into either USB port. I have tried multiple cables with both ports. I also had this problem with an external camera. I do not have the problem with either port with my iPhone or iPod. I am running the latest OS.

I am wondering if there is something in the security settings I need to change? Is there a way to diagnose the functionality of the USB port ?

Thanks,

Mike

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2015 10:50 AM

Greetings mbubbaca,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that some devices that you connect to your Mac via USB do not seem to be working as expected. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the suggested steps located in the attached article below.

OS X Yosemite: If a USB device isn’t working

Cheers

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2015 10:50 AM in response to mbubbaca

Greetings mbubbaca,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that some devices that you connect to your Mac via USB do not seem to be working as expected. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the suggested steps located in the attached article below.

OS X Yosemite: If a USB device isn’t working

Cheers

Aug 11, 2015 4:49 PM in response to AppleJoe

Hi, I followed the suggestions and it worked 1 time. But now I have an issue with my iPod classic. When plugged in to synch, I get the message that USB Devices Disabled...etc. So searched for help in testing the USB ports and followed the instructions for the Apple Hardware test for a my version of MacBook Pro 15 inches late 2011. However when I do all I get it a gray screen with a file folder icon with a ? in the middle that flashes. I should get t trouble shooting menu. Any experience with what I might try next? Thanks,

How do I check that my USB port is working correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.