Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where have my movies gone?

I have 5 movies in my iTunes pc folder - all are greyed out and say "original file cannot be located" if clicked. I have checked the iTunes / Media file and cannot find any files. I looked in iTunes Movies / Purchased - it says I have no purchases - but they are listed in my account / Purchase History? (BTW - There is no "restore from cloud" button in my iTunes on Cloud list.) Finally, 1 of the movies is available on my iPad - 2 are greyed out and 2 are missing.

How do I restore these movies to my PC folder so I can synch them to my iPad?

PS - I'm not a very tech savvy guy do I hope this is an easy step by step answer.

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.4, Window 7 Enterprise PC

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 1:17 PM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 1:24 PM in response to sbd60

The 'file cannot be located' message implies that you've either deleted their files from your computer, or moved them to a different location.

Try deleting them from the Movies part of your iTunes library (where you are getting the 'cannot be located' message) : select/highlight them and press the delete button on your keyboard.

And then go to the Purchased link under Quick Links on the right-hand side of the iTunes store homepage and see if you can redownload them. If they don't show there then check to see if they are hidden : Hide and unhide purchases in the iTunes Store - Apple Support (if the rights-holder has removed them and they are no longer in the store, or if you've moved countries since buying them, you won't be able to redownload them).

Or if one (or more) of them is one on your iPad connect it and (after selecting the missing entries form your library above) do File > Devices > Transfer Purchases to copy it back.

Aug 4, 2015 1:48 PM in response to King_Penguin

King_Penguin - thank you. I am reluctant to delete them from iTunes Library (until I can be assured of recovering them) as I may not get them back. As mentioned in my post, the Purchased link under Quick Links says "no purchases" - although they are listed under my purchase history in my account details. - and I cannot check to see if they are hidden as there is no Hidden Purchases / Manage tab on the Account Summary / iTunes on Cloud list. I may try the File >Device>Transfer for the one movie I have on the iPad but that still means 4 have gone?

Aug 4, 2015 1:58 PM in response to sbd60

The 'cannot locate' message means that you've already deleted their actual files from your computer, you effectively only have their names left in your library.

For the Transfer Purchases to copy the film back you will have to delete its entry from the Movies section of your library, otherwise iTunes will see that and assume that you still have the film somewhere and that there is therefore no need to be able to copy it back. And the Purchased link you are are looking at 'all' (not the 'not in my library') ?

If the rights-holders for those films have removed the films from your country's store, or you've moved countries since buying them, then you won't be able to redownload them - you would have to copy them (or the 4 that aren't on your iPad) back from your backup of your downloads/library. You have been taking and maintaining a backup of your downloads ?

The hidden section will only show if you have items hidden on your account.

Where have my movies gone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.