Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay and dual band wifi connections?

Hi Everyone

I have an ihome iw1 which is an airplay speaker from ihome. It is not capable of connecting to 5ghz networks, only 2.5 ghz wifi networks.

I have a Zoom! modem/router that is dual band. I have a 5ghz AC/N network going and also a 2.5 Ghz network going.

When I set up the iHome to the new router, it was only capable of connecting to my 2.5 ghz SSID -- but I could've sworn that I was able to use Airplay while my macbook was connected to the 5.0 ghz network. When I am connected to the 5 ghz network, I can still type in the IP address of the iHome, while connected to the 2.5 Ghz network. I can even connect to my WD-TV which is also only capable of the 2.5ghz network and access it using the IP address while I am connected to my 5 ghz network. So, because my combination modem-router is dual band, the two networks although different bands and SSIDs should be able to allow all connected devices to both 5ghz and 2.5 ghz interact with each other.

So, even though they are connected to different SSIDs they should still be able to connect and interact with my computer. Does anyone have any ideas what I might need to do with my Zoom modem-router settings to allow my computer to work with my airplay speaker while the computer is connected to the 5ghz and speaker to 2.5?

Thanks

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 2:55 PM

There are no replies.

Airplay and dual band wifi connections?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.