Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove "ghost" iCloud backup data?

Hello

I have a standard iCloud account with 5GB of storage and one iPhone is backuping data on iCloud. I had previous devices but I gave them up.

The problem is that my iPhone backup is 1.1 GB and the total amount of backup size is 3.42 GB. I cannot delete anything else apart from my 1.1 GB backup, the rest until 3.42 is just "ghost" backup data.

Is there any way to wipe out everything on my iCloud account and start over from 5GB adding all the stuff back?

See below in the screenshot the difference.

User uploaded file

Thank you for the answers.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 6:32 AM

what I think is happening to you is you took relatively large video and it keeps

uploading to icloud library and library "did not realize" yet what that file is, so it reads it as part

of the backup or icloud drive reservation. If you delete your backup

(your phone can be backed up again few min later) and reservation still exists that is probably your

answer. Since I do not really have access to actual icloud server you may get better answer from

Apple.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 6:32 AM in response to eroscf

what I think is happening to you is you took relatively large video and it keeps

uploading to icloud library and library "did not realize" yet what that file is, so it reads it as part

of the backup or icloud drive reservation. If you delete your backup

(your phone can be backed up again few min later) and reservation still exists that is probably your

answer. Since I do not really have access to actual icloud server you may get better answer from

Apple.

Aug 6, 2015 12:54 AM in response to gregory202

You might be right. I deleted all the backup data and it still shows the reserved space.

The problem is that I don't remember backing up my photos/videos on iClod EVER! All I have is photo stream (for photos) and I'm syncing the photos from my macbook air but there are no videos there.

Is there any way to contact Apple trough email or online form? Not to call them.

How can I remove "ghost" iCloud backup data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.