Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Map app stops navigating when data is not available

So I was driving to Canada from the US this past weekend. I started navigation on my iPhone before crossing the border. I forgot to turn on data roaming so the phone didn't have data after entering Canada. The app simply stopped giving audio directions. I was off route for quite a while before realizing it.

Is this a known problem? It's kinda annoying. It should at least warn me about it.

iOS 7

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 2:27 PM

The built in Maps app requires data to download the maps on the fly. It doesn't cache a very large area. Once it gets beyond the area of the maps that were downloaded while data was available, it will stop giving you directions. If you're going to be using the phone for mapping without data, you'll need an app that can download maps in advance. I think Motion X might but you'll have to search the App Store.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 2:27 PM in response to delingren

The built in Maps app requires data to download the maps on the fly. It doesn't cache a very large area. Once it gets beyond the area of the maps that were downloaded while data was available, it will stop giving you directions. If you're going to be using the phone for mapping without data, you'll need an app that can download maps in advance. I think Motion X might but you'll have to search the App Store.

Map app stops navigating when data is not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.