Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac says I have 75 GB of photos. Can't find them? When updating to Photos from iPhoto they can't be located??

I'm getting an error message that my Startup Disk is full. So I checked info under "About this Mac" and see that I only have 1GB storage left. 75 GB is dedicated to photos. The problem is, I can't locate those photos on this iMac. I updated to PHOTOS from iPhoto some time back, and initially all photos were there. Now only the very recent photos are there. (may have something to do with the fact that I turned off iCloud photos or adjusted that setting recently).

Anyway, I have all my photos backed up on an external drive so I want to delete most off of my iMac. BUT, I can't delete 75 GB of photos when i can't locate them in FINDER. The only time I can find them is when I'm in the PHOTOS app, and click IMPORT. I scroll down the right side to MEDIA, then PHOTOS. All of the MOMENTS and such appear there, but I can't seem to find them in FINDER so I can delete them from the iMac. The external is not connected when I'm viewing them in the PHOTOS app, so I'm not certain if they are on the cloud or on the Mac somewhere. I'd assume on the mac, since it says 75 GB of my mac is dedicated to photos, and there are only maybe 100 pix currently showing up in the PHOTOS app.

Suggestions?

IMAC, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 1:31 PM

2 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:31 PM in response to BAYOUMUD

Empty trash.

Download from the Internet OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective (both free) and open them. They will show all of your files and the respective sizes and should aid you in locating missing files.

Also download EasyFind. It may also prove to be useful infinding missing files:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easyfind/id411673888?mt=12

Ciao.

Aug 4, 2015 5:20 PM in response to BAYOUMUD

First of all update to 10.11 (In case you already did that (I think so because of Photos) update your thingy here). 😉

Otherwise, your iPhoto collection still is on your Mac somewhere, just find it (most likely Finder -> User -> Pictures -> iPhoto Library), upload it to iCloud and delete it. If you want to keep your iPhoto Library just delete the Photos Library (same location), but I can't tell for how long it will be supported.

If that doesn't help check out Daisy Disk (3,99$ or something) to locate and delete large amounts of data.

My Mac says I have 75 GB of photos. Can't find them? When updating to Photos from iPhoto they can't be located??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.