Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound and Volume meters not moving

Hi all,

Ive imported a video and the corresponding audio clips into FCP. A waveform appears in the viewer section when i double click the audio clip and the level is up, yet no audio plays back and no signal is showing on the volume meters...?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 1:11 PM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2015 1:27 PM in response to nsmebak

FCP doesn't work with WMVs...that's a PC format. Before you work with any video in FCP 7, you need to convert it to ProRes or some other FCP specific editing codec...the ones you see listed in the Easy Setup list. Flip4Mac is the app to do this, and sorry, but it's not free.

if you want to edit that natively on a Mac, you need to get Premiere Pro CC

Aug 4, 2015 1:38 PM in response to Shane Ross

Thank you for your responses.

I was under that impression as well Shane, but the fact is, is that it was working this morning in the format. I am at the office and so I cannot download things such as Flip4Mac. I had turned off my speakers at one point and so Im not quite sure when the problem started. Also, FCP is not my area of expertise so i was wondering if theres a hidden mute feature somewhere that i am unaware of?

Aug 4, 2015 1:39 PM in response to nsmebak

Unsupported formats might work sometimes, but then not again. People edit H.264 and it seems fine, but then it stops working. Or you export and everything is wrong. Because FCP isnt designed to work with those formats. The problem is, that it SEEMS like it will, and it might, once, or twice. Or all the time you are editing and then you go to export and...it doesn't work anymore.

If you use FCP, and you want it to work right all the time, you need to convert to FCP media. If this is media that your job at that office needs you to edit, then they should buy the tools that allows it to be converted...or the software you can actually edit it with. it's an easy conversation.

"Hey, we want you to edit this video."

"OK...oh, wait. I can't edit this particular video with the software we have. It needs to be converted. And we need to buy this converter, or this editing software, in order to deal with it."

"WHAT?!! That's outrageous! The software we have, even though it's 8 years old, should be able to edit ANYTHING!!"

"Well, it can't, I'm sorry."

"MAKE IT WORK!"

"Ok...well, I did. Sorta. But now it doesn't work. And I see that according to the software manual, it says I need to convert it to media it can edit."

"UGH! FINE! Here's money to get what you need."

Or

"Ugh, FINE! We just won't edit that then."

Or

"Ugh, FINE...you're fired!"

Actually, I don't know how it will go. But if it's video they are directing you to edit, you need to say "I need XX in order to do that." Hopefully they won't push back too much. But if they are still using really old software...I'm guessing they don't invest much in that area...

No Sound and Volume meters not moving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.