Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to re-install Windows 7, "Need 64bit" error

So I recently had to format my hard drive, removing my previously installed Windows 7 partition. I'm trying to re-install Windows 7 now, only to get an error stating that I need a 64-bit Windows installation. The installation disc I'm using has both 32-bit and 64-bit, so I'm not sure why it's not letting me install it. This is the same exact disc I had used to install Windows on this same machine a while back, which makes this issue even more frustrating.

Looking at previous topics about this subject led me to do an edit to info.plist in the Bootcamp application (by adding my model identifier) but it renders the bootcamp application useless as it crashes immediately upon startup.

Any help getting around this stupid barrier to install Windows 7 would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

iMac (2012, 27 Inch)

OSX Yosemite

iMac

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 3:48 PM

8 replies

Aug 4, 2015 8:03 PM in response to Rob ツ

If you used the disk on Mavericks and then upgraded to Yosemite (or higher), the checking in Yosemite for disk signature is much stricter, compared to older OS X versions. This also helps avoid driver certification for BC devices on older devices and older OS X versions. The boundaries are much better defined.

Aug 4, 2015 8:09 PM in response to Rob ツ

It is not just rolling back OS X versions, but also the underlying firmware which has been upgraded. You can see the list of all upgrades in the App Store under Updates (last 30 days).

Instead of such effort, it is much faster to use your Product Key and go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and download a 64-bit only ISO. The download may take 2+ hours, but a backup/restore can take much longer.

Aug 5, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Loner T

It's not letting me download, says invalid key for some reason. Tried with two legitimate keys and doesn't work - after looking into it seems like it's a common problem.

Don't know what my other solutions are. If I blasted the hard drive again and did internet recovery to restore to mountain lion would that work?

Aug 5, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Rob ツ

Rob ツ wrote:

It's not letting me download, says invalid key for some reason. Tried with two legitimate keys and doesn't work - after looking into it seems like it's a common problem.

Don't know what my other solutions are. If I blasted the hard drive again and did internet recovery to restore to mountain lion would that work?

Contact Microsoft to get the key issue resolved.

Trying to re-install Windows 7, "Need 64bit" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.