Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PCI Express SSD card not recognized on 2010 Mac Pro

I had an OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD for over a year. After the Mac froze twice, it didn't recognize the SSD after restarting. OWC replaced the SSD, but my Mac doesn't recognize the replacement. The card has two eSATA expansion ports, and those work. Disk Utility doesn't show the SSD, and the PCI section of System Report doesn't show the card. I tried switching PCI slots, zapping the PRAM, cleaning the PCI card contacts and booting into recovery mode. Tech support didn't have any other ideas. I'm currently booting from a clean install of Yosemite with nothing else added.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

OS X 10.10.4

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 3:43 PM

5 replies

Aug 5, 2015 1:08 AM in response to timcL

Nothing that I tried yesterday worked. This morning I started up my Mac and was greeted with a message that I'd inserted an unrecognizable disk. My PCI Express card was listed in Disk Utility, so I formatted it and started the Yosemite installation. During the installation the PCI Express card disappeared again. I've restarted a number of time without it reappearing.

Aug 5, 2015 1:29 AM in response to timcL

Sure sounds like an intermittent hardware problem. Maybe heating causes the problem. Could be the card, the connection between the cad and PCle slot or maybe between the SSD blade and the card, or the logic board

For a problem between the card and SSD blade you still should be able to see the card in system report.

If the crd works fine for extended periods of time in another Mac then that would point to a problem with your Mac

PCI Express SSD card not recognized on 2010 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.