Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No firewire after Yosimite update

I upgraded from mavericks to yosemite, and now the system report cannot find the firewire devices. They get power from my macbook pro but do not see them. Any suggestions?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 2:33 PM

18 replies

Aug 4, 2015 3:02 PM in response to mariusfromstockholm

mariusfromstockholm wrote:

I upgraded from mavericks to yosemite, and now the system report cannot find the firewire devices. They get power from my macbook pro but do not see them. Any suggestions?

Did you check to see if these devices have a Yosemite Driver? If not - you have to pick a generic driver I guess.

Always important to check your hardware and software before update -- its why I am still at Snow Leopard.

Aug 4, 2015 3:26 PM in response to mariusfromstockholm

Thanks for your reply. Spoke to WD and they told me drives for Yosemite's ok but it's not working. Wonder if it is Yosemite or my MacBook pro needs firewire resetting or something. The drives get's power from firewire but don't come up on computer or Disk Utility. Need a Mac Einstein to fix it I guess.

Try the WD mac support site - users forum -- WD has a good site - as I have a couple of WD drives - one for time machine and one for a second backup -

-- another WD user may have had your issue and came up with a fix.

Aug 5, 2015 9:08 AM in response to mariusfromstockholm

Actually none of my firewire Lacie and docking stations work either.

This may work -- disconnect the devices and shut your system down (power off)

Power on and reconnect the devices one at a time (with power on) and see if your mac identifies them.

Shutting down clears RAM - sometimes its the only way to solve a problem.

Aug 5, 2015 10:22 AM in response to notcloudy

Thanks notcloudy, I have done all this, even formatted my Mac hard drive, reinstalled my time machine backup, and reinstalled OS X Mountain Lion from the net, then updated to Yosemite. did all the updates. I even tried formatting one WD Passport Studio, and tried connecting externals, docking station again that all worked before upgrading. I am frustrated. Nothing seem to work.

One strange thing though, every time I upgraded to Yosemite, and my mac restarted, it stopped halfway through. I had to cold start it to get it going again and then Yosemite was installed but no external drives are seen, only powered up. But on the WD passport Studios, the drive is spinning but the indicator light does not glow. Strange? It works only with USB and I can't edit like that.

I need to edit a film and are desperate, need to get the firewire working. What else folks? Marius

Aug 6, 2015 4:56 PM in response to mariusfromstockholm

What I can't understand is that the drives get power from the firewire but I can't see them on my macbook pro. Somebody must know what the problem is? My firewire is active. Can it be Yosemite that buggered up my firewire because it worked before upgrade.

I tries everything and are very desperate.

Marius

Have you checked the console logs for any error messages?

You just have to look through them until you see a message that fits -- for instance if the devices have firmware issues it should how in the logs.

Aug 8, 2015 6:47 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric, I tried that and got message: mount/force/dev/disk2: No such file or directory

I tried TechTool Pro 7 without luck.

Is it the Yosemite upgrade that did something to my firewire port or to every drive that I try to mount because none of the mount on other computers after I tried it on mine. Like a virus contaminating?

I'm puzzled. Any help appreciated.

Marius

No firewire after Yosimite update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.