Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to prevent portrait mode

I want my iBook to be used in landscape only. I've found several comments on the web saying that it is possible to go to Document Inspector and to "disable portrait orientation". I am not able to find this setting, however, so I must be looking in the wrong place. Following is what I see in Document Inspector. Can anyone tell me precisely where the setting is located?

FYI that I am using version 2.3 of iBooks Author. Thanks

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 4:15 PM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:31 PM in response to pomme4moi

landscape4you no mas.

don't believe those who have told you that if you like your landscape you can keep your landscape.

going, going, gone.

used to be there but is now gone in the latest release of iba, sorry to have to say.

your internet references are about previous releases of iba. you can find a discussion about this in one of the previous posts on this board. sometimes can be better than searching the internet.

but i think it might be a good time to ask the existential question. Why?

i am scratching my head wondering whose great idea it was to do this. if i had hair, perhaps it wouldn't hurt. and how far up the food chain do we have to go to find out the highest level of person who approved this. now i can't say that i have given this a lot of thinking, or thought for that matter. but the little that i have spent doing so makes me wonder. what has been created is a landscape view in a portrait orientation. i can't think of a single sane reason why that is useful. it looks terrible. perhaps if i had more time to think about it, or more experience i would realize some obvious worth, but i just don't have the time. i lost a month dealing with preview data transfer interrupted, can't import this document into the widget, no repeats (or hesitations) allowed in keynote widgets and a host of strange going ons with changing the suffix and prefix of an audio file. only the dot remains untouched.

but there has been an outcry of complaints about this change and perhaps someday someone will hit the revert to a previous version option. or at least we can be clued into a reason why this was done. i will go so far as submit that it might have been better use of time to ensure better reliability, availability and serviceability into this product than taking away the disable portrait orientation feature.

Aug 6, 2015 3:33 PM in response to sb0117

i was excited when i saw your reply and tried to learn more about this option but what i read i didn't really understand so i would have to do more experimentation to understand it.

got me thinking though. is checking off the box the usual english meaning? or is it the opposite of checking on the box. which i don't believe i ever heard. i'll take it to me check the box, instead of uncheck the box.

i looked at my document. by default, i guess, it is checked. even though checked, i have the problem described by the submitter. and the screenshot that the submitter supplied has it unchecked, which presumably what was used in pomme4moi's test.

i am a little skeptical that this option impacts the problem under discussion.

Aug 10, 2015 7:55 AM in response to richard the old

It was just a guess, but a quick test shows me that this box has no effect on orientation after all. In fact, it seems like when you start with a landscape template, the iBook will always be displayed in landscaped format, whether the iPad is held as landscape or portrait. What happens when the iPad is rotated in portrait is that the image is scaled back to fit the width of the iPad. It still works, but not as well as when the iPad is held in landscape. This means that when you start an iBook project, you must decide whether this will be a portrait or landscape iBook.

Sep 18, 2015 2:11 PM in response to aeron

i share your feelings.

i started perhaps 19 months ago with a new book using what was up to date software at that time. my main tools are iba and keynote, mac os and iOS and ibooks of course. about six months after i started, new versions of the software came out. the newer iba's were ok until the new keynote came out. a simple drop of a new keynote into a keynote widget did not work, and the best i got from apple support was that they could not recreate it and it must be something with my data. i couldn't waste time with this so i decided to keep developing with the older software. around the 15th month timeframe and perhaps 90% of the work done, i came to realize that it was a losing strategy to send my book to apple based on the old software, so i updated everything. it was a disaster for me.

1. the first problem i noticed was the problem i had described above about dropping the keynote documents into the keynote widgets. lucky for me i stumpled upon a workaround. i mentioned this in passing to apple support while discussing another problem and the level 2 support guy (who was very good) picked my brain about it before we finished. contrast this to my previous experience where i never got past level 1 support. i sent an email describing this problem to apple support and expressed my disappointment on the job they had done. i got a nice letter in return acknowledging that perhaps they could have done better.

2. keynote movies and audio would no longer loop (i documented this on this forum). this was a serious problem for me. i got a workaround from apple. i hope they fix it.

3. after an iOS update, i couldn't use preview to an iPad (i documented this on this forum). i found an alternative method to preview on an iPad, thanks to a contributor on this forum.

4. and this portrait issue, which is not a problem but a feature change. you can read my comments above to which i now add:

a. perhaps there is a good reason why they did this but cannot tell us and that i cannot determine.

b. but the really good news is that i came to realize that the portrait view of my landscape book is terrible looking and useless. no customer would look at it in that orientation for a long time. they would rotate the iPad. if that is your only issue, count your blessings. it's not going to matter to your customers and will not impact your timeline to bring your book to market. (got me thinking about a monitor in portrait mode and reading a landscape book on a mac. wonder how that looks?)

i wasted all of last july reestablishing a workflow to get my book done.

the inconvenient truth is that we you want to be in this business, you have to factor in updating software. there is no escape around it.

i am at a point where i can get my book into the bookstore perhaps by the end of september. i am torn about doing the updates to iOS 9, iTunes and any of my other critical software that can impact this book. but i feel compelled to upload my book produced with the new software. what i really need is a test computer where i can test out new releases of software before i put them into the main production computer. now, why didn't i think of that before, a test computer and a test iPad for new software. can a trip to the apple store be in my close future? if everybody does this, apple stands to make a lot of money.

Disclosure: I own Apple shares.

How to prevent portrait mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.