Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB C external modem

Does the USB C port in the MacBook Light support third party external modems (e.g. AT&T beam)?

MacBook

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:16 PM

3 replies

Aug 4, 2015 7:04 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy -- That is what I meant, with the USB C to USB A adaptor, which is what external modems routinely (physically) plug into -- but does the multi-use port create any barriers to communicating with the third party external modem? The reason I ask is that I just dropped off a Macbook Light to my daughter. She is on a secure military base, and cannot use the base wifi for her personal computer for security reasons -- so we need to get her connected to the internet.

Aug 4, 2015 10:47 PM in response to Peter A. Singler

What is she going to connect to with the modem? She should talk with the system admin of the base to learn what alternatives she may have. What other Wi-Fi sources are in the vicinity of the her location? Are there any public Wi-Fi locations nearby? If she uses public or insecure Wi-Fi sources she will need to set up a VPN to prevent exposing her computer to hackers.

For her to use a modem means she must use base telephone lines that also may need to be secure. I think she needs to consult with the base's tech people to come up with a solution or talk to others on the base for the solutions they have found available.

USB C external modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.