Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration with a broken Screen

Hi,

I have recently got a new computer and want to migrate my data across to from the old one to the new one:

New MacOld Mac
  • 2015 iMac 27" 5K
  • Yosemite 10.10
  • 1 TB Drive
  • 2009 MacBook Pro 13"
  • Partition Drive:
    • Lion
    • Snow Leopard
    • Data (shared partition)
  • 750 GB Drive

Given the above information how can I migrate the from the partitions above to work on my new Mac? Thank you.

Matt

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 4:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 4:55 PM

You cannot run Snow Leopard or Lion on your new Mac. What is it that you want/need to move to the new iMac? Knowing that mpsy help to get you a proper answer.

6 replies

Aug 4, 2015 9:21 PM in response to darkhorse85

If you have a Time Machine backup of the old computer the migration is dead easy. Simply connect the backup drive to the new computer, then launch Migration Assistant (Applications - Utilitiies - Migration Assistant) and follow the on-screen prompts. Connect the Time Machine backup via USB only to the new computer and the migration should be done within a hour or so. After the migration has finished, log out of your normal account and you will see a new account has been created that has all of your data in it.

Mike is correct, however I didn't get from your post that you are interested in running SL or Lion on the new machine.

Aug 5, 2015 5:52 AM in response to darkhorse85

darkhorse85 wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have Time Machine backup. I used to use Carbon Copy Cloner.

Regarding the OS I want to run: well really I 'd to just run Yosemite and take the data over from the 3 partitions.

That said Snow Leopard is more important a moment because it contains things for work, (namely Adobe CS3).

You can also migrate from he CCC backup. Going forward operate with redundant backups, Time Machine and CCC. If you only have 1 backup that is risky, if you have none that is just plain foolish. You will need a second EHD to use Time Machine.

Migration with a broken Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.