Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all of my desktop folders!!!

After rebooting (command + option + escape) my MacBook Pro, all of the folders on my desktop suddenly disappeared. How do I get them back?!

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:23 PM

That is not a key sequence to reboot.

Click on the Desktop to activate Finder, select Preferences from the Finder menu, check the boxes to re-enable disk display on the Desktop. The only folders that would be on the Desktop would be those you've dragged to the Desktop.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2015 5:23 PM in response to duffy127

That is not a key sequence to reboot.

Click on the Desktop to activate Finder, select Preferences from the Finder menu, check the boxes to re-enable disk display on the Desktop. The only folders that would be on the Desktop would be those you've dragged to the Desktop.

Aug 5, 2015 9:53 AM in response to duffy127

Do a backup.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist. Move the .plists to your desktop.

Re-launch Finder by restarting the computer and test. If it works okay, delete the plists from the desktop.

If the same, return the .plists to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Lost all of my desktop folders!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.