Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone restore not working how do I get my pictures back?

I was Laollapalooza Chicago this weekend had a lot trouble using data (I am sure AT&T network was overloaded) - I made the mistake of rebooting the phone while there - it turned out to be a fatal mistake. Phone came up as if it was a brand new device - asking me if I wanted to restore from backup or set it up as a new phone. I figured I would just wait until I got home and restore.

AFter I got home, I tried restoring from previous night's backup over wifi but it didn't work. The phone went through that motions as if it was doing restore, booted itself up and back to the same screen "set it up as new device or restore from backup" - I tried many different backup from different days to no avail - same results... I finally gave up and set it up as new device. I have slowly been getting my apps back through iTunes over the air but my biggest issue photos - how do I get my 2,000 photos back? I was backing my photos to iCloud but didn't have photo stream enabled (They are not on another device). I don't use iTunes on desktop and just rely on over the air sync.

Is there any way to get my pictures back - I don't want to enable photo streaming because that will bring photos from my iPad onto my phone - I just want photos from my pre-iPhone-disaster (same phone that now doesn't have any photos)

thanks

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:09 PM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2015 7:13 PM in response to MefromQC

If you did not have a backup of the device while the pictures were on it, or you did not upload the pictures to iCloud Drive, import the photos to the computer, or upload to another service such as Dropbox, then they are gone.

I'm not sure how just doing a reset would have caused the device to appear as a new device, but then anything can be possible. When you mention rebooting, you are referring to holding down the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then releasing?

Aug 4, 2015 7:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I Have had several successful backups from multiple nights last week. These picture were on iCloud as well (the regular iCloud backup but not iCloud Drive ) - I have had the photos through few generations of iPhones. I can't understand why restore is not not working.

I restarted the phone by just holding down power until it gives you "slide to power off" and turning it back on. At which point, it looks like it couldn't contact AT&T network and decdied to notify me to register the phone / start as if it was a brand new device.

Aug 4, 2015 7:36 PM in response to MefromQC

I don't use iCloud backup, so I'm not sure why it is not allowing you to restore your backup. This support document describes what is backed up in iCloud, and it contains a statement about photos, you will need to look at and see if that applies to you. iCloud: iCloud storage and backup overview

This support document provides information for troubleshooting iCloud backup restore. If you need help restoring from an iCloud backup - Apple Support

Aug 4, 2015 7:44 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

It is "allowing" me restore from backup but it doesn't work. After about 20-30 mins of progress bars etc. The phone reboots and apple logo shows up and the same screen about do you want to setup as new device etc shows up. Not sure how to get my photos back. I know they have to be on the iCloud but not sure how to get them synced to my phone - shouldn't that be possible even if I set the phone as new device?

Aug 4, 2015 7:47 PM in response to MefromQC

If the photos are in iCloud and you sign in with the same iCloud ID, yes. However, I'm not sure why you feel they should be in iCloud. You say you were backing them up. When I read that support document link I gave you, it seems that photos are only backed up if you do not have the other services on. However if they are just being backed up, you will only be able to recover them if you can restore that backup. There would be no other way. To recover the photos from iCloud by signing in, they would have to be either in Photo Stream or in the iCloud Drive.

iPhone restore not working how do I get my pictures back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.