Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store consistently not showing iTunes updates

Hello,

I am using OS X 10.10.4

Since an early 10.10.x (not sure exactly which) release, iTunes updates do not show up in the App Store.

When an update is available iTunes will tell me, but when I click the Download iTunes button it takes me to the App Store, and there is no update. I have to resort to manually downloading the entire iTunes app from the Apple.com page for obtaining iTunes. I would like to NOT have to do that, as it should not be necessary.

I see people have complained/queried about identical and similar issues for the past few years. Reading through many of those posts, I have no found a Yosemite relevant solution.

Can anyone advise on the best steps

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM, Matt

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 5:18 PM

9 replies

Aug 4, 2015 5:41 PM in response to InspiredLife

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files used by system processes. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Back up all data before proceeding.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder named "zz" selected. Move that subfolder to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Sep 15, 2015 11:59 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc.

Thanks for your help on this. Unfortunately this solution didn't work.

I've been rather busy with other things, and didn't get back to you.

I see now iTunes is showing another update is available, and again it takes me to the App Store but no iTunes updates show up in there.

Perhaps I am destined to have to manually download a new iTunes from apple.com each time there's an update?

Cheers,

Jonathan

May 25, 2016 6:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi,

I was having the same issue as the OP and tried this solution on 10.11.5; results are not recommended.

Essentially, the computer would not boot and I had to enter single-user mode and delete the newly-created zz folder from the /var/Folders directory and copy the old zz folder from the Trash back to /var/Folders. The booting issue resolved without any damage, as far as I can tell. Undo process is below:

1. Single user mode (command-S on reboot)

2. cd /var/Folders

3. mount -uw /

not sure why this was necessary, but it was

4. sudo chmod 777 zz

changed permissions to allow full read-write capability on "zz"

5. rm -R zz

6. cd /

7. cd Users/(YOUR USER INITIALS HERE)/.Trash

8. mv zz /var/folders

9. reboot.

Frustrating thing is I still can't see the darn iTunes update in the App Store, but this problem is preferred to not being able to boot my computer.

Devin

App Store consistently not showing iTunes updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.