Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NTFS drive installed in iMAC - now what!?!

Hello from Richmond, VA: the hard drive in my 2008 iMac crashed - at least I think it was the HD b/c the iMac wouldn't boot. I bought a new 2015 iMac, and used Time Machine to get it up and running - no issues! I watched the U-Tube video and replaced the hard drive in my old 2008 iMac with a spare hard drive that I wasn't using - it took a couple hours, but I got it back together just fine. I erased this drive before I installed it, but it was still formatted as an NTFS drive because I was using it with my Windows desktop. Questions: (1) the original installation disks won't install in the 2008 iMac. Is this because I installed a drive formatted with NTFS? (2) if the answer to no. (1) is YES, is there any way to reformat this hard drive while it's still installed in the 2008 iMac? (3) if the answer to no. 2 is NO, if I remove the drive please advise how I can use my new 2015 iMac to format the drive so the 2008 iMac will recognize it after I reinstall it. (4) With this same NTFS drive installed, I used the iMAC hardware test utility in my 2008 iMac, and it appeared that everything was OK. Is it possible the original hard drive was really OK, and the inability to boot issue was caused by something other than the HD? (5) I plugged the original HD from my 2008 iMac (the drive I thought was bad) into my USB port on my Windows desktop. Disk management indicated that the HD was healthy - can on rely on this information? Thanks much!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2015 6:32 AM

When you are booted via the installation DVD, you should have a menu bar where you can select and start Disk Utility. Using Disk Utility you can reformat the disk to an "HFS+ Journaled" drive.

Also when reformatting, check the format "Options..." button to give the drive a GUID partition (assuming that is available), if not, then an Apple partition. This will be needed in order for the Mac firmware to find and boot the device.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2015 6:32 AM in response to BruceXX

When you are booted via the installation DVD, you should have a menu bar where you can select and start Disk Utility. Using Disk Utility you can reformat the disk to an "HFS+ Journaled" drive.

Also when reformatting, check the format "Options..." button to give the drive a GUID partition (assuming that is available), if not, then an Apple partition. This will be needed in order for the Mac firmware to find and boot the device.

Aug 5, 2015 9:33 PM in response to BobHarris

Hi Bob, thanks for answering my question. I booted via the 1st of 2 installation CDs, re-formatted and created the GUID partition. I only created this partition and no other ones. I then watched most of OS 10 install EXCEPT I didn't watch the last few minutes. I heard the computer re-boot (I was in another room), but I can't figure out how to get installation disk 2 to install. I tried a fresh re-installation using disk 1, but I couldn't get that to work either. After the Apple icon appears, nothing happens and the disk ejects, or sometimes I get a light blue screen with a mouse arrow. Very strange. Any suggestions would be much appreciated - thanks!

Aug 6, 2015 8:41 AM in response to BruceXX

GUID, Mac OS Extended (journaled), 1 partition is OK.

Your original DVD-1 has Leopard on it. The 2nd DVD will not install anything (Leopard utilities) because the Leopard installation is not there. How you 10.10 got installed is a big secret....

You should install Leopard, then find a SnowLeopard update DVD, update to 10.6.8 and then via Appstore install 10.10.latest.

Aug 6, 2015 8:05 PM in response to Lexiepex

Hi Lex - thanks for jumping in to help address my issues. The install disk 1 says it's Mac OS version 10.5.4. I also have the single disk Max OS X Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD 10.6. I'm getting a blue screen after having installed disk 1 of OS 10.5.4. I installed a new (used) hard drive because the computer wouldn't boot. I guessed that the hard drive broke, but really have no idea what went wrong. I plugged the original Apple HD into my window desk top via USB, and Disk Management indicates that it's "healthy" although I don't know if this indication is accurate. Thanks!

Aug 6, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric - I held down the shift key at start up and was prompted to insert OS X installation disc 2. I installed disc 1 yesterday, but wasn't watching the prompts when disk 1 finished so I don't know what happened - I think the Mac rebooted to a blue screen. The original OS X version that came with this iMac was 10.5.4. Thanks - hopefully the installation of disk 2 will work. I assume I should install OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 next.

NTFS drive installed in iMAC - now what!?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.