Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private shares permission can’t always save or delete via Mac yet Win 7 ok

I have two macbook airs 14 models and one Imac a 14 model Running Yosemite 10.0.4.

I also have a 4 year old Windows 7 Toshiba Laptop.

I have a Western digital My Book Live duo, with the latest firmware updated 17 July. This NAS has a number of private shares with full admin rights and accessed via wifi and or lan through a static ip address set in the NAS drive

From my Windows 7 I just mapped the drive through the IP address and everything works I can open delete save any type of file I want in any program, create directories and for a small NAS drive on a home network it is very fast.

However on my Mac’s there are huge problems, none the least is the slowness of accessing files and the drives. It is like watching grass grow, to see and access files in the various private and public shares.

The biggest problem is not all files can be saved over e.g. word for mac 2011 save as and not all can be deleted

"due to naming and permission’s errors or access rights to delete or modify"

"Word cvannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error."

This is incorrect according to the NAS drive admin page and from the Windows 7 machine that allows it to save. Name changes don’t matter no does assigning user rights to the specific file.

It is the same with some videos and other files randomly.

I have created a start up script for the apple that runs in the user login items. This is the only way I have found to log into the private shares with Macs. I understand you can do something at a terminal level but I have no understanding of this

delay 10

tell application "Finder"

mount volume "smb://Networkname;username:password@Networkname/User1"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/Photos"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/User"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/Scanneddocuments"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/Scannedphotos"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/music"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/General"

mount volume "smb:// Networkname; username:password @ Networkname/Videos"

delay 2

set desktop shows connected servers of Finder preferences to false

end tell

This script mounts the shares and keeps the folders hidden on the desktop. I see on these WD community forums others are having similar problems at least since 2012 To quote a problem and suggested solution

“Checking file info I see the same as another contributor

Regardless of whether I connect as guest or connect as admin - the permissions I am seeing on the subfolders of the public share are:

daapd Read & Write

staff Read & Write

everyone Read only.

But above the list of permissions it says "You have custom access".

Another contributor offered this as a solution

Solution:

1. Went to the web UI usinghttp://drivename.local/which redirected to http://drivename.local/UI/
  2. Added ssh to the url: http://drivename.local/UI/ssh
  3. Checked the box to turn on ssh
  4. Opened a terminal window, connected via ssh using the UI-supplied password
  5. Navigated to the public folder. Ownership of the public folder was "root" and group "share". Ownership of the problematic subfolders was "root" and group "root".
  6. executed the command "chgrp -R share Public" to change ownership of all files under public to the "share" group.
  7. Closed terminal window. Turned ssh back off. Drive behaves normally.

However when I follow this it only brings up the login page no check box to move to the next steps. This may be simple to those who understand these things but alas I don’t.”

I am at a loss on how to sort this as I have little knowledge of Apple systems or how to have a WD network share operating like a network should.

Is this a Western Digital problem of Apple. I see other posts talking about similar issues relating to file and folder privileges.

I saw an earlier post regarding the same issue and a contributor recommended

Thank you for any info you can provide

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 4, 2015 7:02 PM

There are no replies.

Private shares permission can’t always save or delete via Mac yet Win 7 ok

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.